Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    I have a hard time to see the benefit of RGB panels? Is it just to splash around with odd colours?

2. Collapse Details
    Well, I have a decent set of colour gels that I've collected over time...with a RGB light I can put a few a few C47s into retirement and leave the gels at home too.
    Michael
    Event, Sport & Personal Video espvideo.ca

3. Collapse Details
    Hey guys, actually did the music video shoot a few weeks ago.

That video shoot was my primary reason for buying these fixtures, so a few things to report.

The yongnuo's worked great, except for the annoying fact that I was only able to hook one fixture up to the app at a time.

This was inconvenient and a downer as I was using these to light my subject, and needed to be able to ride/change the colors of both fixtures at once.

It worked out, we ended up having someone else on set download the app, and used two phones each assigned to one fixture to make it work.

The y360 and yn600 aren't just nice RGB fixtures, they're really nice, really cheap, LED fixtures period.

I do not regret buying them, and I know they'll get more use.

The only bummer in practice for me was not being able to control multiple units via one app.

Also, I wish they came with power supplies as the ones listed on B&H and other retailers for these lights are about half as expensive as the lights themselves, which seems like a bit much.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by homestar_kevin View Post

Also, I wish they came with power supplies as the ones listed on B&H and other retailers for these lights are about half as expensive as the lights themselves, which seems like a bit much.
    Look at it from this perspective: If you buy a $50 power supply for a $100 light, that seems like a lot of money, because it's half the cost of the main item. But if you buy a $50 power supply for a $1,000 light, you don't really think about it, because it's a much smaller percentage of the cost of the main item. Probably same power supply, manufactured in the same factory in China and used by multiple companies for their lights, but some of the lights cost $100 and some lights cost $1000.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Look at it from this perspective: If you buy a $50 power supply for a $100 light, that seems like a lot of money, because it's half the cost of the main item. But if you buy a $50 power supply for a $1,000 light, you don't really think about it, because it's a much smaller percentage of the cost of the main item. Probably same power supply, manufactured in the same factory in China and used by multiple companies for their lights, but some of the lights cost $100 and some lights cost $1000.

Definitely true. That's a good way of looking at it, yeah a power supply costing 50% or more of the fixture price definitely leaves a bit of a sour taste in your mouth, but you're spot on and I'll take $150 with fixture and power supply all day.

I'm extremely pleased with the quality of the lights and will grab a few power supplies as time goes on.

I have enough sony NPF batteries that I could keep these things running for awhile, so not a huge concern, but one of those items that filed away in the "It would be nice to have" category.

6. Collapse Details
    I've been using the YN600's for a number of years and am a big fan. Also have the YN900 now. The fan on 600 is entirely unnecessary as long as you don't use the plastic diffusing or color correction panels that impede airflow. Just put diffusion or color on the doors where it belongs anyway. I've been taping a toothpick in my YN600's fans for years on day long runs even outside and never had any problems. One of these days I'll open them and cut the wire.
    The only irritating thing is the bicolor units have separate controls for Tungsten and daylight bulbs which makes it hard to dim without changing color. As a result I've stayed with the daylight versions. The best deal in lighting for sure.

For the ice light I got the other chinese knockoff that's branded by a ton of other companies. I think mine were MTY or MTH but just saw it on Amazon as Opteka VL600. I think they're all the same. More output than the Yongnuo because it doesn't have the RGB colors, but I don't see much use for those in my work. You can convert to AC if you buy a an AC powered dummy battery then hold it in place with velcro. A bit of a kluge but it works. Also you can get a diffusion/gel frame for it that is exactly the same as the wescott version only much cheaper because it isn't branded. Great lights also.
    Last edited by LennyLevy; 12-27-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12