1. Collapse Details
    A7III Video AF-C Question / Recommendations
    Hi all,

I've rented the A7III a few times for wedding shoots (video). I've had mixed results using the continuous auto-focus. I'm using it naively with the Sony 28mm f/2. Mostly great results, but not always. I usually use Eye-Track Priority along with center AF, so when tracking subjects it starts at the center then looks for faces to track. The last shoot I used a "Responsive" tracking speed, and standard focus drive. Maybe my issue was having the tracking speed on responsive vs. standard?

I haven't tried the tap to focus yet. Is there a way to tap the screen to focus, then have the camera lock that subject and track it? What are people finding works well for tracking subjects best? Alternatively, what are people finding work best in other situations?

Thanks!
    Dan

2. Collapse Details
    I rented the a7III a few months ago and don't remember...but is there an object tracking/lock-on focus mode? (Should be as the a6300 has it.)

If so, did you try that?

Responsive vs. standard does make a difference too. Sometimes an environment confuses both. And lighting plays a part as well.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I rented the a7III a few months ago and don't remember...but is there an object tracking/lock-on focus mode? (Should be as the a6300 has it.)

If so, did you try that?

Responsive vs. standard does make a difference too. Sometimes an environment confuses both. And lighting plays a part too.
    I'll look into lock-on focus. And good call regarding lighting. May have to hold out and see what the a7sIII has to offers

4. Collapse Details
    The a7III is a pretty decent low-light camera, but when all of these cameras are working in the dark I think they will get confused at times. Daylight AF (outside) is always much better...unless you're having issues there too then maybe it's the lens (some have much better AF than others).

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    The a7III is a pretty decent low-light camera, but when all of these cameras are working in the dark I think they will get confused at times. Daylight AF (outside) is always much better...unless you're having issues there too then maybe it's the lens (some have much better AF than others).
    It was missing super sharp focus during the day a bit. Maybe because I had it on responsive and it was searching too much. Using the Sony 28mm which I've heard is fast.

6. Collapse Details
    I have a couple of A7IIIs and use the Sony 24-105 f4, 70-200 f4, 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2, and Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and the AF performance has generally been rock solid. I have my AF video settings set to fast and responsive with face priority turned on. For focus area, I almost always use Flexible Spot: L. As long as the person's face who I'm looking to track is near the focus box, it's nailed it almost 100% of the time.

I've had 2 situations where the camera has struggled quite a bit. First is using slog3. I'm not a huge fan of log profiles (I use Cine1 on the A7) so that isn't a huge deal for me unless I'm shooting for someone who wants log. The second is really high ISO situations. I'm talking 8000+. I've had no issues at 4000 or 5000 ISO.

Even set to fast and responsive, it's a lot slower to grab focus than my C100. But, especially on wide shots, using face detect and moving the AF box around, I've found it to be more accurate than the C100's AF which is limited to the box in the middle.