Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    However, if you need timecode sync (something that's basically a constant in my world) it gets a little trickier.

Your world sounds like it needs an F5

I think the conversation can be legitmately broadened to Fs5 vs Fs7 vs used F5 - there are many reasons to consider the F5 option.

I have only once worked on a project (a broadcast multicam show, not live) that absolutely demanded TC.. I had significant chats with the producers that I wanted to use an F5 not an FS7 - as all the gear was rental and the glass was PL it was entirely possible for only another $20 a day - which is the rental difference between F5 and F7.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Let's not throw out blanket statements that aren't true. We've been down this rabbit hole way too many times(and going many pages deep each time). You need to qualify that statement. If you're talking about narrative, yes. ENG, no.
    ENG standards only require scratch audio it seems ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    However, if you need timecode sync (something that's basically a constant in my world) it gets a little trickier.

With the FS7 you need the extension back, which is ganglier than it should be, and adds some considerable bulk to the camera. With the FS5 you need an external recorder like the Odyssey 7Q which has TC input. But this is where it gets a little more interesting I think. Paired with the O7Q, the FS5 doesn't need an extension box to output its raw signal, so it's a MUCH more compact package for outputting raw (or, more-likely, recording Prores from the raw signal), and since the O7Q functions as a solid onboard monitor as well, the added gack factor is minimal.

Add to that, the fact that (unlike almost any other camera you'd use an external recorder for these days) you still get a solid 10-bit 4:2:2 internal recording for backup with the FS5. And that helps take a lot of the stress out of relying on an external recorder for your masters.
    If Atomos ever brings out a module for the Ninja V which supports both SDI and TC at once together, then they'll have an extremely popular set up for FS5 and FS700 owners.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post

Your world sounds like it needs an F5

I think the conversation can be legitmately broadened to Fs5 vs Fs7 vs used F5 - there are many reasons to consider the F5 option.
    Am amazed by how cheap F5 prices have fallen on eBay, they're barely more expensive than a secondhand FS7.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234