1. Collapse Details
    Hurricane Coverage
    First, I hope all DVXuser members in the way of Florence are OK.

So I'm watching the live coverage of Florence on CNN featuring a lot of their famous anchors, Cooper, Lemon, etc. And they are in some serious wind, like they can't stand up straight wind, probably 50-70mph. They typically used handheld shotguns with plug-ons. They had their transmitters bagged. They didn't have a full blimps, only a softy; amazing. The audio was often excellent for the circumstances and at the minimum understandable. Whatever softy they were using was really "gettin it done". Any idea what they were using?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrantly View Post
    They typically used handheld shotguns with plug-ons.
    I can't speak for CNN. But the locals are using the opposite of shotguns. The handhelds they are using are Electro-Voice RE50N/D-Bs. These are omni dynamic (not condenser) reporters' stick mics. These mics are almost impervious to wind noise and handling noise. The reason for the foam covers is to knock down the noise of rain and sand hitting the mic.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I have a re50 and to me, these didn't look that short. I should record a screenshot and look more closely. The foam appeared to be a longer softy, and not a ball type foam, but I'm not sure.

G

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrantly View Post
    I have a re50 and to me, these didn't look that short. I should record a screenshot and look more closely. The foam appeared to be a longer softy, and not a ball type foam, but I'm not sure.

G
    Maybe the mics are in fact RE50's and they only look longer because of the butt-plug. The reporters are gripping the combo down low near the junction of the mic and the transmitter. Lemon's mic appears to have some sort of short Rycote softie on it.

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 8.57.59 PM.jpg

Or, maybe I am completely wrong and what you are seeing in use is not the RE50 but the Rode Reporter, which is a long-ish mic:

rode_reporter_mic.jpg
    Big sources matter.

5. Collapse Details
    Our SKY UK reporters started with shotguns but then switched to an RE50 when the wind got stronger.
    Over 15 minutes in broadcast film and tv production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352
    /

6. Collapse Details
    Shure's SM63 reporters mic is available in a extended reach (long) version (SM63LB) of their I think Beyer may as well.

7. Collapse Details

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    ha, yeah I've seen a few like that over the years! It isn't an isolated occurrence.

And people in the media wonder why the public's trust in them has gone down...
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding