Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I think this could do some funk with a grade, added grain and some 239 bars. Similar FOV and DOF to S16 maybe. And for interviews pair it with my GH4 and 50 1.2

Im defo going to take it for a test run.. at which point Ill stick the the FS7.

2. Collapse Details
    Log, DPAF (for when I need it), 24-bit audio (hopefully with decent preamps), apparently wide (enough) lens, what looks like decent ergonomics... looking impressive (if more expensive than I'd like). Still want to know about low-light performance, battery life, and independent evaluation of IQ.

I need a camera for this difficult verite film I'm about to start shooting; it's going to be a tough gig on many fronts... I need a camera that'll get me good images in in all sorts of conditions and won't require a lot of gak (and that will hopefully be low-profile enough that I won't get robbed more than once). Just not feeling that a DSLR/mirrorless-style camera is the way to go for this. Same with C-series, FS-series, Amira, EVA1, etc; not sure those are the way to go here.

SO ANYWAY, this is interesting.

I'm also considering a Panasonic AG-UX180. Also want to see what Panasonic, Sony, et al release/announce at IBC.
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Lens wise starting wide is the critical bit.. and that tends to lead to less Xs of zoom.

I feel a RnG camera needs to be able to 'show a location' and film a driver while you are on the passenger seat.

As (to me) a handheld camcorder, I cant be stable above about 200mm anyway and there is digital zoom and cropping in post.

but if a lens is not wide. it is not wide.

15x'25mm' is way better than 18X'28mm'

S
    Funny you talk about width. I just read that they have announced a 0.8 Wide zoom thru and a 1.5 Tele adapter specifically for this camera. Better than nothing for sure.

Chris Young

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    I would love the ability to shoot in 120p at 1/60th shutter with audio.
    I can promise you that it does not do this.

5. Collapse Details
    I would reserve judgement on this camera until you use it on a pro shoot. FWIW, the XF-405 offers about 75% of this camera's feature set at half the price. This camera would interest me at $5k. At the price they are asking, it seems overpriced fow what it is and what it offers. I also agree, it needs wider wide end on the FOV.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Its overpriced.. but buy cheap buy twice.

The apparent thing about this camera (as someone looking for a reason not to shoot with my FS7) is that it ticks many boxes that make other camcorders (including XF405) completely unusable.

Its not that I think it looks good.. its that I think it looks 'not fundamentally flawed'

Other camcorders to me are fundamentally flawed by.. '29mm wide', lenseses without three reasonably tactile rings, lack of 10bit log.

They seem to have provided the minimum!

The video showing the bloke going for a walk on a foggy day is super dull, but does tick some interesting boxes like the wide in the car.

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    Funny you talk about width. I just read that they have announced a 0.8 Wide zoom thru and a 1.5 Tele adapter specifically for this camera. Better than nothing for sure.

Chris Young
    can u link to that release please?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I would reserve judgement on this camera until you use it on a pro shoot. FWIW, the XF-405 offers about 75% of this camera's feature set at half the price. This camera would interest me at $5k. At the price they are asking, it seems overpriced fow what it is and what it offers. I also agree, it needs wider wide end on the FOV.
    Oh, without a doubt I'll be waiting for reviews to come out, and then I'll rent it for a weekend to test it before making any kind of commitment. $7000 is a lot of money to spend on a camera. But on paper it does everything I'm looking for to shoot events. Right now I'm using two C100 Mk I cameras, and while the image quality is great, I'd love to have a proper servo zoom + DPAF touch screen face tracking autofocus. I'll be paying close attention to it.
    Last edited by Jaime Valles; 09-13-2018 at 05:28 AM.
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpreston View Post
    I can promise you that it does not do this.
    I agree, but have to ask the camera industry - why not? Throw the footage on a 60p timeline and you have normal event footage with 60 frames in reserve for any bits you want to slow down. Or 24p timeline and have 96 frames in reserve. Slo-mo from live events is usually only a fraction of the end product.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    I agree, but have to ask the camera industry - why not? Throw the footage on a 60p timeline and you have normal event footage with 60 frames in reserve for any bits you want to slow down. Or 24p timeline and have 96 frames in reserve. Slo-mo from live events is usually only a fraction of the end product.
    Technically, it's not problem at all. All super-slow-mo live cams are spitting out real-time 60fps feed and doing insane high-speed(1,000+fps) simultaneously. It's just a matter of the manufactures implementing it/giving it to us on the "ENG" side. It's ridiculous that my iPhone 6 from 2014 could shoot 240fps slow-mo WITH audio and be played back in either real time or slow-mo, but I have $40k+ cameras that I have to choose and lock into real-time or slow-mo w/no audio.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast