Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    Morgan can keep his FS7.

I only said HFR can be engaged quickly and easily on the FS7 - I hope the same is true for the Canon... which, as described, is designed for quick and easy use.

2. Collapse Details
    Well you also said this:

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    I think this could do some funk with a grade, added grain and some 239 bars. Similar FOV and DOF to S16 maybe. And for interviews pair it with my GH4 and 50 1.2

Im defo going to take it for a test run.. at which point Ill stick the the FS7.

I'm somewhat just giving you a hard time, but the point is it isn't a camera intended to be slapped with 239 bars and film grain. In some ways I wish they didn't even include log. Of course it CAN be used as a narrative storytelling device, but there are much better (and cheaper) cameras for that. And when you start making comparisons to those kinds of cameras, of course it falls flat... because that's not what it's designed for.

Apparently a lot of Canon fanboys are up in arms because the C200 only does 4:2:0 8-bit MP4 and 4:2:2 10-bit H.265 sure sounds a whole lot sexier on paper. But the XF705 will never be the camera they want it to be. It's awesome that you can throw a 16mm lens on the FS7 and get that super wide, passenger seat shot. But at the same time, you can't do a constant, slow push all the way to 15x (and beyond) no matter what you put on it. There are definitely people who need that. And that's okay... it's a good thing to have choices. Sadly, there is no perfect camera for every situation... there never has been and I don't think the manufacturers would let us have it even if such a thing could be created. :P
    you + are = you're.

3. Collapse Details
    Well Ive spent the summer covering 'cool' 'yoof' events. similar to this shot the year before https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=tyj1mjNu9FI

The desired look from the client is grainy S16 style funk - instagram in motion. (mainly slow motion!)

Lugging my FS7 vlocks and huge zooms around, missing shots because I had the wrong lens, and nailing my back.. the look I described, in a XF705 style package is entirely relevant.
    Last edited by morgan_moore; Today at 06:04 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    The desired look from the client is grainy S16 style funk - instagram in motion. (mainly slow motion!)

Lugging my FS7 vlocks and huge zooms around, missing shots because I had the wrong lens, and nailing my back.. the look I described, in a XF705 style package is entirely relevant.
    Well, yeah... that's why those cameras suck (from an ergonomic point of view).

Still, I think for the kind of promos you're doing (or at least the example you shared), shallow DoF lends itself to a cool, 'yoof' aesthetic a lot more than a 305 would. Heck, ungraded log is almost a trendy instagram filter in itself. Of course this is all subjective and like I said previously, you can use any of these cameras in whatever way you want. But I do think most people are of the opinion that certain types of gear are more suited to specific shooting situations than others.

That said, you can keep the grain and I'll even hand over the interlacing feature on the 705 if I ever get one of these things (apparently somebody out there still uses that, too).
    you + are = you're.

5. Collapse Details
    Well im thinking the 1in sensor, might give little enough DOF for the client not to baulk - a worthy trade off for a better back, I think it would be more 'cinematic' than my 1/3in EX1 which at 35mbs doesnt handle a funk grade too well.
    Last edited by morgan_moore; Today at 06:38 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345