Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks for sharing. Looks pretty good. I would say if you are committing to the camera, some profile tweaks could help the image imho. The highlights look pretty good. Nice rolloff but this always can be improved. The blacks look a bit compressed. Not as bad as the DVX200 but I think this is an area to focus on. The greens and overall color looks a bit flat. Maybe try lowering the red saturation while raising the color saturation of everything else as the reds will bloom. I do not know the controls given but there should be enough to go after these bits.

This is all my opinion though. Some like undersaturated video but I think it makes pro cameras look consumerish. But I am approaching this as video, not film...

2. Collapse Details
    Personally, I prefer to oversaturate in camera and desaturate in post if needed.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

www.jarek.com
    Red Weapon 8K

3. Collapse Details
    I really wish I could find some information on how the 705 stacks up to the cinema series in terms of color and ISO/gain. I was using an XC15 as a C cam for the cinema series. Even just a comparison with the 705 to the XC cameras would be useful for me to understand if this camera would work well with the cinema series.. I realize that the cinema series and the XF series are for different markets, but I figured there would be more comparisons available now for those of us interested in both.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpreston View Post
    I really wish I could find some information on how the 705 stacks up to the cinema series in terms of color and ISO/gain. I was using an XC15 as a C cam for the cinema series. Even just a comparison with the 705 to the XC cameras would be useful for me to understand if this camera would work well with the cinema series.. I realize that the cinema series and the XF series are for different markets, but I figured there would be more comparisons available now for those of us interested in both.
    With our own tests and what Canon Burbank has told me, up to the 3200 ISO equivalent in db gain is clean. As for the color DNA, its the same as the C series. The DOP appears/seems to the eye closer to the C series S35 sensor than the XF305's 1/3" sensor. The touch screen DPAF is just like the C200 and the new C300 MK II Touch kit (which we just got in).

Jim Martin
    CinemaWorks

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
    With our own tests and what Canon Burbank has told me, up to the 3200 ISO equivalent in db gain is clean. As for the color DNA, its the same as the C series. The DOP appears/seems to the eye closer to the C series S35 sensor than the XF305's 1/3" sensor. The touch screen DPAF is just like the C200 and the new C300 MK II Touch kit (which we just got in).

Jim Martin
    CinemaWorks
    Thanks, Jim. 3200ISO is about where the XC series fell apart as well. Have you seen any indication if the 705 has any built in color profiles that would allow it to be cut interchangeably with the c300 MK II without color correction? Or with the C200? Canon has never seemed to be concerned with any of the cameras matching, but I did find that the XC15 in it's wide DR production camera matrix was a very close match to the C300 MKII in the same settings. Canon Log wasn't even close for some reason.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cpreston View Post
    Thanks, Jim. 3200ISO is about where the XC series fell apart as well. Have you seen any indication if the 705 has any built in color profiles that would allow it to be cut interchangeably with the c300 MK II without color correction? Or with the C200? Canon has never seemed to be concerned with any of the cameras matching, but I did find that the XC15 in it's wide DR production camera matrix was a very close match to the C300 MKII in the same settings. Canon Log wasn't even close for some reason.
    I'd say we're good at 3200....above that and the noise shows up. If I remember, 1600 was tops for the XC10 & 15 with anything above that, noise is there. Also, remember the noise on Canons moves, mimicking film grain. As for the gammas, there are 4 normals, all close to 709, and WideDR & Log 3.

Jim Martin
    CinemaWorks

7. Collapse Details
    I'm still surprised only one comprehensive review (RedShark) has come out so far. Anyone find any others out there? Anyone? Bueller?
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
    I'd say we're good at 3200....above that and the noise shows up. If I remember, 1600 was tops for the XC10 & 15 with anything above that, noise is there. Also, remember the noise on Canons moves, mimicking film grain. As for the gammas, there are 4 normals, all close to 709, and WideDR & Log 3.

Jim Martin
    CinemaWorks
    So an extra stop of gain and close to an extra stop on the lens means that it is somewhat useable indoors. My biggest problem with the XC15 is that it would fall apart with movement even if I couldn't see any noise. The XF705 lets you control the noise reduction so I am interested to see what it looks like when not in automatic mode. I see that the XF705 has only two color matrices, video and neutral, but it can probably be made to match since it allows for full color matrix tuning.

It seems like a decent camera. I am guessing it might be getting more attention of Canon had bit the bullet and stuck constant f/2.8 lens or lower on the camera.

9. Collapse Details
    Canon XF705 0% 24m Lease Available & In Stock at Texas Media Systems
    DVXuser Sponsor
    The Canon XF705, XF405, XF400 now has 0% 24 month, 0% 12 Month, and 1.99% 36 Month Lease Financing available through March 31 2018.

Leases can be completed in 1-2 days if you have good credit.

Canon will honor Film & TV Sales Tax Exemptions that are available in Texas, California, NJ, NY, Florida, etc. Equipment insurance is required.

We have one Canon XF705 available that is arriving today that we can ship to arrive tomorrow.

Canon XF705 Five Video Tutorial Series: From Prep to Post now available on YouTube.

Canon XF705 $6999

Last edited by Terry Nixon; 01-17-2019 at 06:13 PM.
    Terry Nixon
    terry@tmsav.com
    Texas Media Systems
    Phone 1-512-440-1400 Ext 203
    Twitter Facebook Instagram Linkedin

10. Collapse Details
    Charles from Canon Burbank has put up their XF705 videos.....here is the link to #1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lBbSpBmxFg

I think there are 5-6 total episodes but quite detailed.

Jim Martin
    Samy's CinemaWorks

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112