Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
  1. Collapse Details
    The old rule of shutter at twice the frame rate is really applicable with 24/25p as that rate is not too far off the persistence of human vision, which is around 20/30th of a second. The eye detects a slight flicker as the image is dying in the minds eye therefore 24/25 second shutter is not the best to use for creating the impression of smooth motion as it is close to the persistence of vision. That's one of the reasons along with the power mains frequency that TV adopted 50i and 60i, for smoothness. The shutter speeds shooting at a 50th at 50p or 60th at 60p are well above the persistence of vision so no real need to double shutter speed. Plus you also save a stop in light loss over 100th or 120th. Persistence of human vision is used to explain the 24p flicker phenomena though in fact that is not strictly true and has been argued back and forth since the days the first moving images were produced. With regards to film projection to reduce the appearance of flicker, virtually all modern projector shutters are designed to add additional flicker periods, typically doubling the flicker rate to 48 Hz (single-bladed shutters make two rotations per frame – double-bladed shutters make one rotation per frame), which is less visible. (Some three-bladed projector shutters even triple it to 72 Hz.) A better explanation on the whole question of frame and flicker rates can be found here.

Chris Young

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknF...of_vision.html

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
    Personally, I prefer to oversaturate in camera and desaturate in post if needed.
    Jarek, I find this concept intriguing and somewhat mystifying. Would you be able to please elaborate on your reasoning and approach?

3. Collapse Details
    The latest version of EditReady (2.6.2, 1237) will open, play and convert the XF705 .mxf files. There are several choices for conversion. I use ProRes 422 HQ which produces .mov file with data rate of 1.53 Gbit/s at 60 fps.
    Last edited by WBS; 08-26-2019 at 04:16 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Canon XF705 HEVC file conversion comparison using EditReady and Adobe Media Encoder on basic 8-core iMac Pro.

I filmed two nearly identical one minute segments with the motion of a bird feeder swaying in the breeze in front of bushes, one at 29.97 fps at 160 Mb/s for a 1.18 GB file and one at 59.94 fps at 160 Mb/s for a 1.16 GB file.

I tried converting directly from the SD card and from the IMac SSD and the times were the same.

Converted to ProRes 422 HQ:

EditReady time on the 29.97 file 1:14
    EditReady time on the 59.94 file 2:14
    Adobe ME time on the 29.97 file 0:57
    Adobe ME time on the 59.94 file 1:25

Both converters yielded same value Gb/s files, approximately .8 for 29.97 and 1.6 for 59.94
    Last edited by WBS; 08-27-2019 at 11:45 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Canon XF705 - This is Vimeo higher quality 320 kbps 48,000 Hz AAC audio. Handheld manual focus XF705.

https://vimeo.com/366130786

6. Collapse Details
    https://youtu.be/7KCzZ5lvHGI

Caerus Mardi Gras Parade 2020 in Hattiesburg, Mississippi on February 15, 2020

Canon XF705 4k

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks for posting. Nice colors.

8. Collapse Details
    This here is some nice looking XF705 footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcldZjLKi24

The same person has a bunch of other videos shot with the camera that also look great. I still have my eyes on the XF705, but with the pandemic going on I'm not making big purchases anytime soon, as all my work has dried up. Also, I'm waiting for the eventual, inevitable price drop. $7000 is too much for this camera, especially when the C200 is now only $5500.
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

9. Collapse Details
    Yes, nice looking footage. No doubt this is a nice camera although it looks quite large & heavy. I agree, I have always thought $7,000 was a tough sell.

10. Collapse Details
    Large and heavy doesn't bother me too much because it's still going to be a smaller overall package than a C200 plus a bunch of lenses to cover the same range as the Xf705.
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314