Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Next time i get my hands on the z280 I will check out just exactly what the lens ramping is and will report back. I understand your points about the wedding market. I know shooters in that business who use DSLR and Mirroless for the brides and groom house shoots because of the more artistic shoots often used in those scenarios. Many of them used to use those sorts of cameras for the rest of the wedding but many are now using some kind of camcorder with a built in parfocal zoom lens for the speeches and the run and gun type footage around the tables, dancing etc. Much easier they say.

Coming back to H.265. I'm not as enthused about its future as some due to the licensing cost issues surrounding HEVC (H.265) and the wide lack of acceptance by the broader non broadcast industry not picking up H.265. One only has to look at the major players moving away from H.265 as per comments on the current state of play with industry response to HEVC. Whilst it is a great codec, everything I have done with it has impressed me doesn't alter the fact that MPEG LA the licensing body for H.265 have kind of shot themselves in the foot by going from a doubling the license fees and in some cases going up to as high as twenty-eight times the licensing cost for HEVC over AVC. That along with licensing fees on the content are giving HEVC a serious uphill battle. See the following quote"

"HEVC contains technologies covered by patents owned by the organizations that participated in the JCT-VC. Implementing a device or software application that uses HEVC may require a license from HEVC patent holders. The ISO/IEC and ITU require companies that belong to their organizations to offer their patents on reasonable and non-discriminatory licensing (RAND) terms. Patent licenses can be obtained directly from each patent holder, or through patent licensing bodies, such as MPEG LA, HEVC Advance, and Velos Media. The combined licensing fees currently offered by all of the patent licensing bodies are higher than for AVC. The licensing fees are one of the main reasons HEVC adoption has been low on the web and is why some of the largest tech companies (Amazon, AMD, Apple, ARM, Cisco, Google, Intel, Microsoft, Mozilla, Netflix, Nvidia, and more) have joined the Alliance for Open Media, which aimed to finalize the royalty-free alternative video coding format AV1 by the end of 2017. An initial version of the AV1 specification was eventually released on 28 March, 2018."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_E...ch2017Yahoo-55

When it comes to royalty free and when you have the likes Amazon, AMD, Apple, ARM, Cisco, Google, Intel, Microsoft, Mozilla, Netflix and Nvidia supporting a codec in opposition to H.265 I for one, not wishing to be pessimistic, do not see a major adoption of H.265 across the board. This is one of Sony's stated reasons for not going down the H.265 route in their cameras even though they are a licensed HEVC member. Once the royalty free AV1 codec becomes available to all and sundry I see no impediment to it being widely adopted by the NLE industry, Adobe have already signed up. Royalty free, those two words alone say a lot in any cost driven media industry. There is a very serious consortium of players forming up against HEVC. Check out some of the major players.

https://aomedia.org/

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2018/0...-video-codecs/

Chris Young
    Last edited by cyvideo; 09-29-2018 at 04:21 AM. Reason: typos

2. Collapse Details
    Just like Blu-ray, they are racing time. In this case it storage speed and size. In the near future, it will be cheaper to go RAW for the camera makers and consumers. The new JVC camera has a slot for an SSD! Like the C200, keep an h.264 variant around and also offer RAW. I do not see a place for a high priced codec royalty in that mix.

3. Collapse Details
    We had the XF705 here yesterday for a visit......Overall, a pretty good package. Weight & feel, very close to the 305. Image wise, a nice look and I did a wide shot with a close focus (about 2 feet) and a person 6-7 feet away and they were out of focus (not alot but good). The low light was something we did play with but I don't have any solid conclusions. I wanted to see where this sensor was in comparison to the XC15 regarding the noise. I'm looking forward to the production run model to see where it is with different gamma settings.

Jim Martin
    CinemaWorks

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Canon XF705 in Austin Tomorrow 11am-1PM Oct 17 at Texas Media Systems
    DVXuser Sponsor
    The Canon XF705 will in Austin Tomorrow from 11AM to 1PM at Texas Media Systems.

Stop by if you have time.
    Terry Nixon
    terry@tmsav.com
    Texas Media Systems
    Phone 1-512-440-1400 Ext 203
    Twitter Facebook Instagram Linkedin

5. Collapse Details
    I'd like to know if someone has tried the camera and give some impression about the experience with it. Has anyone some interest to buy the camera, or make some test footage? I've found just 3 samples of footage, but they are very short, hard to judge the camera with them. I've also played in DaVinci with the original MXF files straight from the camera, thanks to a French website that has made a short review, but they were taken from a pre-release camera, the final camera should be in the market from 1st December, maybe it's too early to ask more and the majority of USA and European stores declaring the item "coming soon".
    https://www.behance.net/DaniloDelTufo

Camera:
    ---------
    Canon EOS C200, HPX170

Lenses:
    ---------
    Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM
    EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS NANO USM with Power Zoom Adapter PZ-E1
    EF 50MM f/1.4 USM STANDARD
    EF-S 24mm f2.8 STM

Workstation:
    ---------
    iMac Pro - 2.5GHz 14-core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz
    128GB 2666MHz DDR4 ECC memory
    4TB SSD
    Radeon Pro Vega 64 with 16GB of HBM2 memory

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    We delivered 3 cameras on Friday for a client who was doing a shoot last Saturday....I've not heard back from them as of today which usually means everything is going well. Our other 1st units are being picked up this week by clients so not a lot of feedback this early. I expect to hear more next week but these people were long time XF305 users/fans who were very excited to pick up the XF705s.

Jim Martin
    CinemaWorks

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Got spammed with this 'review' the other day, fell asleep after five mins
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHWpnt2cNdo&t=758s

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Got spammed with this 'review' the other day, fell asleep after five mins
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHWpnt2cNdo&t=758s
    This is the first review I've watched, with very short footage from the camera. I'd like to see more.

Camera:
    ---------
    Canon EOS C200, HPX170

Lenses:
    ---------
    EF-S 24mm f2.8 STM

Workstation:
    ---------
    iMac Pro - 2.5GHz 14-core Intel Xeon W processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.3GHz
    128GB 2666MHz DDR4 ECC memory
    4TB SSD
    Radeon Pro Vega 64 with 16GB of HBM2 memory

9. Collapse Details
    The footage is OK - usual wander around the park.

But I see this camera as being for Police 999 - or inane reality so I want to see someone diving into a car with it an shooting with it on thier lap.

I tried it and thought it too long.. concluding that id prever a stripped down C200 and 18-80 for RnG work

The C200 option comes with a free cinema camera for other projects.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Owen Mack has got the new XF705, he has shot some footage with the camera but he can't work on the footage on his computer, so he uploaded some MXF files on the web.

Important notes:
    ---------------------
    Unfortunately all the footage is not shot properly, and it's completely BLUE and PURPLE. So I've tried to make some color correction in Da Vinci Resolve, to salvage something, and believe me it was quite impossible. I've also changed in black and white one clip because colors cannot be adjusted anymore. There were more clips, but they were completely overexposed, and messed up with colors. He said that used the camera in Wide DR Gamma and in Full auto, but it's not clear what he has done with white balance. Because the lack of footage from this camera, I've decided to publish this video, but it's clearly not rappresentative of the camera's quality, but you can have a sneak peek about how stabilization works.

Sample from original footage shot by Owen Mack, before CC

Senza-nome-copia.jpg

Camera:
    ---------
    Canon EOS C200, HPX170

Lenses:
    ---------
    EF-S 24mm f2.8 STM