Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The 18db of gain footage looked pretty nice. I would like to compare how the real world exposure was with another existing camera as many times (depending on where the ramping starts) one would need to think of this as an f4.5 camera. What does that get you compared to my PX270? I do not know if Canon published the old 2000 lux number or not. This was an area where the XF305 struggled.

Also, the fact that the reviewer mentioned a less than ideal zoom rocker is kind of disappointing if I were a buyer. Almost $8,000 should get you an above average servo motor.

2. Collapse Details
    I just like that manufactures haven’t forgotten about making camcorders. Ahem...Panasonic.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

www.jarek.com
    Red Weapon 8K

3. Collapse Details
    Soooo... where are all the reviews for this camera? It's been out for a bit now...
    Jaime VallÚs
    AJV Media
    Video, Photography & Graphic Design: www.ajvmedia.com

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Valles View Post
    Soooo... where are all the reviews for this camera? It's been out for a bit now...
    They have shipped in very small numbers so that is probably the reason....

Jim Martin
    CinemaWorks

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    I have the XF705. I can preview the MXF files in the Canon XF utility which I downloaded from Canon. So far I have not been able to open the h.265 MXF files directly in the latest versions of FCP, PP, or Davinci Resolve Studio. I can change the .MXF to .MPG and Adobe Media Encoder will load the file so I can convert it to ProRes 422 HQ. A base model iMac Pro 8 core does the conversion in almost real time. After doing this I cannot get PP or FCP to recognize the file in a multicamera sequence even after adding angle and camera names to metadata. The camera seems to make good files up to +12 db gain. After that noise begins to be noticeable. I am am happy with the picture quality and overall usability.
    Last edited by WBS; 01-22-2019 at 03:39 AM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    WBS, what sort of work are you using the XF705 for? And why did you choose it over competing products?

Thanks!
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

7. Collapse Details
    Sorry, I am a video hobbyist whose recording is limited to YouTube-like work for events that would otherwise not be recorded such as those of my grandkids at their small Catholic school. I neglected to mention my using an iMac Pro with the latest Mohave upgrade. I have mostly used the Panasonic GH2, GH4, GH5, GH5s, Canon C100 MK ii, Sony A7riii, Sony RX10 MKii and various canon DSLR's. The Panasonic GH5s is by far my favorite camera of those mentioned. The XF705 is my first camera of its type. I bought it 50% for its zoom lens, 40% for its autofocus, 5% for its use of SD cards and 5% for its operability. I don't zoom much but when I do I like it to be smooth. Everything else I own is notchy at best. So far I am pleased with its 4k image. I have not had the chance to compare it to my gold-standard GH5s at an event such as a choral concert with white shirts and black pants and dresses. My GH5s can handle that contrast range nicely with detail in all areas. I think the XF705 may be able to also. When I take some appropriate footage I will post it here.

Bill Strong
    Last edited by WBS; 01-23-2019 at 07:16 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    What is the ISO equivalent for 0 dB on the camera?

9. Collapse Details
    In comparing the XF705 to the GH5s (with Olympus 12-100 f4 zoom) using a large standard gray target illuminated by a 3000K LitePanel LED filling the entire frame of each camera, with each camera lens set to 5.6 on its LCD display, each set to Shutter 180 Degrees, each set to FPS 23.98P - each camera's waveform has a straight line reading of 50 ire when the GH5s ASA is 400 and the XF705 gain is +3 db. So I would guess ISO of 320 at 0 db gain? Please let me know if my logic is incorrect.
    Last edited by WBS; 12-30-2018 at 01:27 AM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    https://youtu.be/w-IgaZMK1tU

I pulled the XF705 out of the box and shot this video with it in my living room. It is one of three cameras. A Sony A7riii is stationary looking thru the piano toward Melanie. A GH5s is stationary to the right side of the piano slightly in front of Melanie. Slightly behind Melanie the XF705 is handheld in manual focus mode at 12 db gain. The WB was set manually to 3000 K on all 3 cameras. I have all 3000K LED ceiling lights plus we were using Lite Panel LEDs set at about 3000 K. No color or other image adjustment has been done to the XF705 footage. I did try to color match the Sony footage to the Panasonic footage. The Sony was way blue.

This piece is Melanie’s composition.

There are other videos of Melanie on YouTube playing with Susmit Sen in India (https://youtu.be/atGolFfMiQA).
    Last edited by WBS; 01-17-2019 at 06:16 PM.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast