Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Creating a community for DIY LED lighting stuff (DIY Quasars inside)
    Hey guys,

lighting can be expensive, so I started with Yuji LEDs, 12V Power supplies and controllers to get flickerfree, dimmable, color temp adjustable, high CRI lights.

I found a factory in china that sells housings that can contain 2 rows of LED strips and voila: DIY Quasar tubes with a high CRI.

Also I convinced a buddy of mine to build me a controller that is basically like one of these smaller Litegear dimmers, variable color with one dial while keeping a consistent output and all sorts of modes like fire mode, paparazzi etc. It is based on an Arduino, we thought about giving this thing to the public.

Have a look here, it is a quick demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNrEO48Zalc

The attached pic shows a test I did with my DIY lights. the key is a 100W Yuji chip in a bowens mount housing with 90cm softbox (basically a super cheap Aputure 120D with Dome alternative), the scratch light on the camera right is a 2ft bicolor DIY tube light set to roughly 6000K.

insta_1.2.1.jpg

What I would love to do is create a community for DIY loving cinematographers, gaffers, filmmakers. For example, I just discovered the Ikea SPÄNST tube lights and asked myself if they could be modded to make them dimmable. They could be dope, cheap practicals. I imagine a databse of LED chips and strips with information like output and color rendition so people can go to ebay, alibaba or whatever and just get going.

Id love a database of links, guides and solutions surrounding lighting, LEDs, circuits, creative solutions, hacks.

Any ideas on how to get such a community going?
    Last edited by TimTom; 09-11-2018 at 11:30 AM.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    If you build it, they will come! I would love to see something like this get started. For now, I think this thread is as good a place as any? I feel like there are a number of us lurking out there.

I've been experimenting with the 100w Yuji's myself. This is a prototype for a permanent install that I built using a cheap PAR can as an enclosure with a riveted mount that supports a large 180cm umbrella. Looks absolutely ridiculous but it's small (less than 9" long) and hidden behind the umbrella so no one ever sees it.

IMG_3967.jpg

I only used simple dimming control via a potentiometer -- would be interested in your controller box if you decide to share. Similarly I'm happy to share a parts list if anyone wants to get started experimenting with building these.

3. Collapse Details
    This is a fun concept that I have a soft spot for and as hobby fun. I have a box of heat sinks and electronic bits from ebay with the goal of doing something DIY with the 100watt Yuji's myself.

One question, has anyone mounted and used the super small diameter Yuji's?

https://store.yujiintl.com/collectio...ed-bc160h-100w

The smaller diameter would allow for sharper shadows if using a fresnel fixture such as this...

Nanquang&Bowen.jpg

Regards,
    Jim Arthurs

4. Collapse Details
    Looks great! For my 100W light I basically copied the circuit from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh9j5mDU_hA

Also, no I haven`t seen the small one in a project yet...
    Cool to see your builts. I will post more of my stuff soon I guess.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Yep, I've got every item listed from that video sitting in a box waiting for some down time to play. The little round 19mm LED is most interesting to me, but I've yet to see anyone actually MOUNT it to something.

I want to build a relatively "hard" light, because there's way too many super soft sources nowadays, and as a DP friend of mine was fond of saying;

"You can make a hard light soft, but you can't make a soft light hard"....
    Jim Arthurs

6. Collapse Details
    Yes, I like this topic. I think building the soft lights using LED tape are pretty straight forward. But when it comes to hard lights where heatsinks, cooling, and packaging are more of a challenge, sharing information would be great. Someone posted their DIY 3D printed housing sometime back. That offers a lot of possibilities. I don't know how many watts you can stick in a plastic housing, but if people start designing housings and we can just send the files to a 3D printer, we could have some nice things. Maybe plastic isn't practical, but if it is, I can make 3D drawings suitable for 3D printing. What I don't have, is the inclination to experiment with the 50-150w COBs. If the community comes up with the electronics and ideas they have for packaging, I'd be willing to work on drawings for them.

7. Collapse Details
    I've purchased 3 borosilicate fresnel lenses - listed on Ebay as for the Arri 300. I also purchased 3 ready made barn door assemblies for the same. I hope to purchase some Cooler Master Heat Sink Fan units, the ones with the copper heat pipes. Then at some point I'll be purchasing the drivers, and then yes, the small diameter Yuji 100W leds. The cost is too much to purchase everything at once, so I'm piecing things together slowly, as funds and time allow. I've followed all the above mentioned threads and links, and look forward to any new DIY information that becomes available.
    Buy a Tripod, Use the Tripod.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    I don't know how many watts you can stick in a plastic housing, but if people start designing housings and we can just send the files to a 3D printer, we could have some nice things. Maybe plastic isn't practical, but if it is, I can make 3D drawings suitable for 3D printing
    If properly cooled/ ventilated, I think plastic would be ok from a heat perspective. For reference I ran one of the 100W Yujis at full strength for 2 hours and the hottest point on the housing was only warm to the touch. My thermopen registered 98F. Cooling via a Noctua CPU fan. Looks like PLA gets soft around 140F so seems ok.

Having never worked with 3D printed materials before my questions of practicality would also extend to durability / tolerances / ease of modification. Can you screw/rivet into it? I think what the Hive guys are doing with their C series lights (simple enclosures with a lot of options for accessories and modifications) is excellent, and if those sort of things are possible via printing, that would be great.

Another useful application would be building a custom chassis that could hold a PSU / arduino controller / small LED readout screen.

9. Collapse Details
    Quiet Cooling

Would love to hear from folks who have built these things about what they're using for cooling, with a particular aim toward finding some quiet active cooling options out there. I used Noctua L9is in my prototypes and found them to not be as quiet as I wanted.

Here's a link to a reference stress test in a fairly noisy room: https://cloudup.com/ccS0i_hm9So (you'll hear hum from the jump -- the outside AC unit was cranked, noise floor was around 50db to start with). I narrate what you're listening to -- the first :40s are with no correction applied, then repeated but with de-noise running. Lav is a DPA 4060. IMO even after correction this isn't quiet enough for an interview setting.

I picked the L9i because it was small, but if I was doing it over again, I would step up to the DH15 (I use one of these for an audio PC and it is significantly quieter). The idea of using water AIOs around video equipment makes me nervous, but maybe I should get over that. Anyone have success with those?

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoughla View Post

Having never worked with 3D printed materials before my questions of practicality would also extend to durability / tolerances / ease of modification. Can you screw/rivet into it?
    The sky is the limit on tolerances and materials since they are now printing with metal. But of course, the question is what is the cost at a give tolerance and material. I'd suggest if there is some first housing people are interested in, I can draw it and submit it for a quote and learn if this is a practical approach.

Screws, rivets should be no issue with many materials.

What do you mean by modification? Redesign and re-print after a prototype or cut/sand an existing part?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast