Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Multiple people get shot in metro ATL every day. Lots of firearms and bad attitudes here. It is the murder capital of the South. Leave it to the police. If they don't do anything go up the chain complaining since they have been handed a quickly solvable case.
    Regards,

Mark

GH4, GH5, Panasonic 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
    Video channel:http://vimeo.com/channels/3523

2. Collapse Details
    A local Photographer I know listed expensive camera gear for sale on Craigs List & arranged for the buyer to meet him at his house. Long story short, the Photographer ended up killing one of the two robbers who arrived, but not before he got shot also.

3. Collapse Details
    I would turn over the information to the insurance company, they have a stake in getting this stuff back and may badger the police to take action.

Unless your friend wants to own that camera, I wouldn't have one buy it. I also wouldn't buy it back myself as that could look like insurance fraud. If the insurance company doesn't want to do anything but pay you, take the money and buy newer stuff and move on. I'm guessing the insurance company will take the lazy way out, pay you, and jack your rates!

Now if a friend does buy it, make absolutely certain that they use USPS to ship it, the federal mail police are generally more active in fraud/theft cases when using the mail system to conduct those illegal activities.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bern Caughey View Post
    A local Photographer I know listed expensive camera gear for sale on Craigs List & arranged for the buyer to meet him at his house. Long story short, the Photographer ended up killing one of the two robbers who arrived, but not before he got shot also.
    That's far too common for anything of value, make the thieve's jobs easy to find the stuff they want to steal. No peeking in windows or anything that could get them caught. Show up to look at an item, maybe look around a bit at other items and leave. Come back when you think the place is empty or be so bold you don't care if people are home and steal everything they can get.

5. Collapse Details
    My friend did not win the bid. So, I guess now it gets shipped to the winner who's identity Ebay does not reveal. Suggestions?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    My friend did not win the bid. So, I guess now it gets shipped to the winner who's identity Ebay does not reveal. Suggestions?
    On Ebay auctions, there is a "report item" button that anyone can click on a live or ended auction. I don't know if it would help at all, but you could report the item as stolen property.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
    What's your insurance policy? Even if you get the camera back, who knows if it'll be working properly.

8. Collapse Details
    http://buyerauctionmanager.com/find-...n-auction.aspx

That's a bummer about your theft, Eric.

As to some earlier posts that I found to be fear-mongering: The vast majority of Craigslist purchases are made without incident. Likely on the order of +99.9% of the time. People being shot or in any way assaulted during Craiglist marketplace dealings is extremely rare. As for Atlanta being "the murder capital of the South", I also take issue with that claim. We here in New Orleans hold that title. The city of Atlanta isn't even in the top 5 in the South. Stop trying to steal our thunder, bro.
    Big sources matter.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Not a desirable title to have. I am including the surrounding metro cities. By U.S. Census Bureau standards, the population of the Atlanta is 490K but the metro ATL region is over 5.5 million and spreads across an area of 8,376 square miles. The FBI stats don't look at the metro area and only break crime stats down by city. Nevertheless metro ALT has a lot of homicides.
    Regards,

Mark

GH4, GH5, Panasonic 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
    Video channel:http://vimeo.com/channels/3523

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
    Not a desirable title to have.
    My comment about being the title holder was sarcasm. You know...gallows humor?

[/QUOTE] I am including the surrounding metro cities. By U.S. Census Bureau standards, the population of the Atlanta is 490K but the metro ATL region is over 5.5 million and spreads across an area of 8,376 square miles. The FBI stats don't look at the metro area and only break crime stats down by city. Nevertheless metro ALT has a lot of homicides.[/QUOTE]

FBI "city" statistics are for the Metropolitan Statistical Area. Not just the city proper.

Again, your suggestion that a person is significantly more likely to be shot while trying to recover stolen goods in Atlanta than they are in any number of U.S. cities is silly. The rate of incidence of anyone being shot while attempting to recover stolen personal items is statistically infinitesimal. One has more chance of getting a C300 to be well-balanced and comfortable rig.
    Big sources matter.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast