1. Collapse Details
    Need Help Recording a CRT Monitor
    Hi all, I am going to be making some videos in which a 15Khz CRT monitor is the main subject and I can't figure out a way to record clean video without flickering/banding on the display. Any tips on what my settings should be? I do have Magic Lantern installed.

2. Collapse Details
    Whenever I'm confronted with this problem I just use a camera that has "Clear Scan" or an "ECS" function as Sony calls it and just keep adjusting the shutter speed using the Clear Scan/ECS switch or scroll menu until the flicker / rolling frequency bar is dialed out. If you are using a DSLR I think you are not going to be able to overcome the problem easily. Sony brought out Clear Scan/ECS on a range of their cameras for the specific reason of shooting CRTs. Alternatively you could possibly hire a Sony DSC-1024 Converter that can go into the monitor line before the monitor as it can put out a recordable video signal of what is seen on the CRT.

Chris Young

3. Collapse Details
    Do you mean the monitor is visible in the image, incidentally or you'll be framing a full screen?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    Do you mean the monitor is visible in the image, incidentally or you'll be framing a full screen?
    I will be framing a full screen taking video of some retro gaming on the monitor to show off the scan lines and such. I want to get close up with a macro lens as well as take wider shots where the entire monitor can be seen. This is a quick test I shot while testing different settings and it is the best I could do. I believe it was 60P and 1/60 shutter speed.

https://youtu.be/-FyavzPEG_A

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    Whenever I'm confronted with this problem I just use a camera that has "Clear Scan" or an "ECS" function as Sony calls it and just keep adjusting the shutter speed using the Clear Scan/ECS switch or scroll menu until the flicker / rolling frequency bar is dialed out. If you are using a DSLR I think you are not going to be able to overcome the problem easily. Sony brought out Clear Scan/ECS on a range of their cameras for the specific reason of shooting CRTs. Alternatively you could possibly hire a Sony DSC-1024 Converter that can go into the monitor line before the monitor as it can put out a recordable video signal of what is seen on the CRT.

Chris Young
    Thanks Chris, that is unfortunate. Do you know of any budget cameras that have this feature?

6. Collapse Details
    Just wanted to say that I was able to adjust the shutter through Magic Lantern to perfectly match the fresh rate of the CRT and I've got what I needed. Thanks.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by crortega9 View Post
    Just wanted to say that I was able to adjust the shutter through Magic Lantern to perfectly match the fresh rate of the CRT and I've got what I needed. Thanks.
    Magic Lantern to the rescue...AGAIN.
    Love that stuff. Brilliant work those people have done.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    Magic Lantern to the rescue...AGAIN.
    Love that stuff. Brilliant work those people have done.
    It's great stuff for sure. Wish it was available for the 5D Mark IV. I had to go out and buy a used Rebel just for ML.

9. Collapse Details
    Really! That's great. I'm not really familiar with ML so it's good to know this adjustment capability is available within ML. Problem solved by the sounds off it!

Chris Young

10. Collapse Details
    It's great stuff for sure. Wish it was available for the 5D Mark IV. I had to go out and buy a used Rebel just for ML.
    They just made some progress with the 5D Mark IV a few days ago...but probably a few months away to anything usable (if possible).