Page 105 of 153 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1526
  1. Collapse Details
    I would def transcode.

2. Collapse Details
    Tentacle route will involve audio channel ltc on the cam. Is PP able to wrangle that?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    I would def transcode.
    Half fingers crossed that an eGPU will handle the 4k h.265. (Nervous laughter)

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Half fingers crossed that an eGPU will handle the 4k h.265. (Nervous laughter)
    A recent GPU (e.g. GTX 1080 level, perhaps even less powerful) can easily handle H.265 10+ bit (even RGB 444 when it becomes available), including 4K 50, 60. Whether your NLE has a decent GPU implementation is another question. Here's PP CC playing X-T3 4K50p (60p would also work), captured at 4K 60 on a 4K60 display, as well as being compressed to 4K60 H.264 via OBS at the same time(!). Includes a simple cross fade transition which means 2 streams of 4K50 being played at once:

For more complex edits, turning on proxies solves workflow issues (at the expense of disk space): all NLEs now have proxy support. Depending on your proxy settings, in most cases you'll use less disk space using proxies than transcoding (since the proxies will be much smaller than 4K transcodes to high-bitrate ALL-I formats (to preserve same quality provided by H.265)).

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks, I’ll start with proxies, and then get an eGPU once i get into anything beyond quick assembly edits.

Your test are very reassuring! Really appreciate you sharing those!

6. Collapse Details
    BIG no no.

Premiere Pro CC never uses GPU for H.264 and H.265 decoding/encoding. For RED materials and of course some effects, yes GPU is involved.

Sounds shocking? Yes it's true, had a chat with Adobe staff during NAB and they stressed that hardware accelerated decoding and encoding of H.264/H.265 leverage some particular Intel CPU instruction sets - AVX/AVX2/Quick Sync

To really use Nvidia GPU for decoding and encoding, you need Nvidia's SDK - NVDEC and NVENC. Adobe has not integrated them into Premiere but there are third party plugins for Premiere, however buggy and unstable.

Also, the hardware accelerated playback seems to be limited by bitrate as well, the above 4K 50p material was shot at 100Mbps. Generally we would use 200Mbps for that, and AII-I 400Mbps for other framerates, you will notice stutter with higher bitrate settings.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahnon View Post
    That's my initial thought as well. I'm shocked I haven't noticed until today, but then again I actually have found myself using the X-T3 for stills more than video.
    I shot with shaprness set to 0, and then the same shot with -4, in HD 10bit. -4 is more flattering. 0 is sharpened, but tastefully sharp. It felt like -4 was reducing some detail. I may go with a -3 for general purpose. -4 for interviews. -1 for detailed scenes. But at the end of the day, i’d be happy running with -4 all the time.

EDIT: viewing HD footage at 100% there appears to be little or no softening. Was most likely the blowing up the image on a 5K screen or possible motion blur. I’d love it if a camera did some blurring at negative sertings, especially the extreme negatives.

Haven’t messed with 4K yet. Only got to play with it twice.
    Last edited by James0b57; 05-09-2019 at 06:24 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Hmm...

I bought two ProGrade 128GB V60 cards when I bought the XT-3. They have played well for five months now, have shot lots of material as well as long interviews. Was shooting some tabletop yesterday and card 1 in slot 1 started shutting recording off, displaying a warning, "SD Card Error" but it appeared to actually save the file before shutting off.
    Did testing yesterday and kept getting this error message with card 1 so I took it out of rotation for a shoot today. I switched to shooting with card 2 today, lo and behold, the same issue. These are premium V60 cards. In ordered to finish the shoot this morning, luckily I had my Sandisk Extreme Pros from my C200 with me. I used them to finish the
    shoot today with no issues.

I am back home looking at the cards, it appears that I didn't lose anything off of the ProGrade cards, all of the files are there and playback, it's just that both were causing the camera to randomly stop the recording and save the file, then displaying an SD card error. I will contact ProGrade Monday, I think these have a year warranty, but weird that
    they have worked great for 4-5 months, then all of a sudden two shut down the camera recording many times over two days? Anyone else use or have issues with the ProGrade V60 cards with the XT-3?
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

9. Collapse Details
    Visitors from Planet Wrongulus might be visiting this forum lol (signs are downvoting of accurate information).

Bitrate generally doesn't affect decode CPU/GPU load if it's the same codec. In any case, we can do some real-world experiments plus a little math to figure out actual GPU load.

The GPU is being used for playback in PP CC, where GPU load scales with codec framerate. Baseline GPU frame copy/swap/GUI update can be measured, getting 8% GPU and 6% CPU playing Black Video in the same Sequence at 50p, and going up to 9% GPU and 8% CPU for Black Video in a 60p Sequence.

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1080.

4K 50p load (GPU: 21%):
    50p.jpg

4K 60p load (GPU: 26%):
    60p.jpg

Subtracting baseline Black Video overhead, we get H.265 X-T3 GPU decode load:

21%-8% = 13% for H.265 X-T3 50p
    26%-9% = 17% for H.265 X-T3 60p

Note for graphics+math operations, the GPU is much more powerful than the CPU, and still uses almost 1/5 the GPU for 60p. All things considered, more of the GPU could be utilized given the high CPU load.

For reference: 1DX II 4K 24 MJPEG 422 8-bit uses 8% GPU (5% GPU Blank Video) and 33% CPU (3% CPU Blank Video). Thus 3% GPU and 30% CPU for decode load.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    20% something GPU usage and 100% CPU usage is the perfect proof that there's no GPU acceleration involved. You'd NEVER see any CPU spike with GPU accelerated playback.

The difference with the GPU usage between HEVC and MJPEG is that GPU has to wait longer and process the more computationally intensive data from CPU for it to be drawn in the UI.

So James, getting an eGPU in the hope that XT3 HEVC files might play smoother is unrealistic.

Page 105 of 153 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115 ... LastLast