1. Collapse Details
    Playhead freezing, then skipping to the end of timeline: FCPX 10.4.3
    I upgraded to 10.4.3 and I'm working on a job using file types I've used many times, and I can't go 30 seconds of editing without the playhead freezing, pinwheeling, then skipping to the end of the timeline. It seemed to happen less after I turned off skimming, but it's still happening, and making it impossible to work productively. Working on High Serra 10.13.6. It doesn't matter what project I'm working on, it happens everywhere.

Edit: I also notice the playhead turns red (skimming off) before this happens, then goes back to white after the playhead goes to the end of the timeline.

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm not sure how to get around it.
    Last edited by Chadfish; 09-24-2018 at 12:35 PM. Reason: More info
    Work Examples - Vimeo - My Music
    Sony FS5 :: Panasonic GH4 :: Sony EX1 :: FCPX :: Senn G3 / RodeLink Wireless
    Rode NT1, NTG-2, NTG-3 Shotgun, NT3(Pair), NT4 (Stereo), NT2000, AT4053b Hyper

2. Collapse Details
    Can you provide the details of the Project and Clip properties please?

Al

3. Collapse Details
    The current project is 4K (UHD) with 60mbps .MOV files from a DJI Inspire 1 Pro drone. Issue happens both on "Better Quality" and "Better Performance". No plugins on the video yet. Never had an issue with this setup before.

4. Collapse Details
    Might be worth checking for free space on your drives.

There is also the option to create Proxy files if all else fails.

Al

5. Collapse Details
    Yes I'm down to 5T out of 15T on my RAID. I just ordered a backup drive to unload some files.

6. Collapse Details
    Still experiencing the issue even though I cleared most of the files off my raid. Everything is up to date, and yet every few minutes when I his the spacebar to play, the playhead freezes, then skips to the end of the timeline. Dang...

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadfish View Post
    Still experiencing the issue even though I cleared most of the files off my raid. Everything is up to date, and yet every few minutes when I his the spacebar to play, the playhead freezes, then skips to the end of the timeline. Dang...
    Import a 4k test clip from the Inspire to a separate test library which is located on a different hard drive than your array. Unplug the array, reboot and see if the problem ever happens. It might be some kind of intermittent lag from the array.

If it only happens on the array, then pursue that. If it still happens on a different drive, reset FCPX preferences or try other troubleshooting steps described here: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203477

Also run Disk Utility First Aid on all volumes, plus rebuild spotlight indexes on all volumes: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716d

For the boot volume, ideally First Aid should be run in recovery mode: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

If it only happens when your files are on the drive array, inspect any relevant logs for that, such as console or other vendor-specific error logs. Test the array separately with a stress tool. I used DiskTester: https://diglloydtools.com/disktester.html
    Last edited by joema; 10-05-2018 at 02:35 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    It may have been related to my RAID software. I was using an OWC raid with "SoftRaid" software. I updated using their interface, and it left the old version on my system along with the new version. After getting rid of the old version my editing seemed to work without freezing up yesterday. Hopefully that fixed the issue. In the process I did unplug my raid and restart everything. Thanks for the suggestions joema!

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadfish View Post
    It may have been related to my RAID software. I was using an OWC raid with "SoftRaid" software. I updated using their interface, and it left the old version on my system along with the new version. After getting rid of the old version my editing seemed to work without freezing up yesterday...
    I use SoftRAID on six different OWC arrays, and so far I've had no problems -- but then I always use the latest version. If you are using a redundant RAID such as RAID-5 make sure all drives are active and it's not functioning in a degraded mode. That would definitely slow things down. However SoftRAID is very good about informing you, so it's hard to imagine that happening without prominent error messages.