1. Collapse Details
    New Canon vistavision mirrorless: EOS R
    Surprise surprise, the Nikon Z6 is still a better and cheaper camera for us filmmakers than the newly announced Canon EOS R!

Sure, it gained 10bit output and log (just like the Nikon Z6), but it basically is still a Canon 5Dmk4 (which means an awful crop, so why bother buying a FF camera in the first place? And no IBIS!).

Nikon (and Panasonic + Sony) need to respond to these two features which will be popular with videographers/filmmakers/vloggers:

Flip out screen for selfie mode.

Variable ND adapter from the camera manufacturer itself.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    As much as I want to love Canon, no IBIS, no hot shoe for adding proper XLR audio inputs, a heavy 1.74x crop in 4K, no frame rates above 60 in full HD and a limited dynamic range compared to other cameras all make for a no-go video wise for their mirrorless line. At least so far in their first entry, that is.

To give them credit, I think Canon was innovative with some parts of this camera. The new Function Bar is pretty interesting and could be an asset going forward, plus the control ring they've developed for their new lenses is pretty smart as well. I think both of those features will be something Canon can build on going forward. It will have the classic Canon colors which is good and I'm confident the user experience with this camera will be positive. Even their adapters for EF lenses look great.

But not including IBIS was a huge misstep. I'd much rather have a 24-70 2.8 with IBIS than a 28-70 2.0 without. Not providing a hot shoe with an audio adapter like Sony and Panasonic have is also a misstep. Both of those features make those cameras way more attractive from a hybrid/video shooter point of view, as does the fact that you can have full frame 4K with Sony (even Nikon) and higher frame rates. Why pay $2,300 for the Canon, which still requires you to adapt or buy into a new lens system, when you can spend less money on a camera like the A7III and have so much more for what you paid?

This is why I gave up on Canon. They just aren't willing to cut into their video camera line and aren't willing to move faster than a turtle in their tech. It's a dang shame too, because mirrorless cameras make great B-cams for video cameras, which is why many guys like me shoot Sony mirrorless with a FS7/FS5. It's a killer 1-2 punch that Canon just won't give us.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I rather want this over the A7 III though. (as I dont like the colours)
    full HD is no crop right? I dont need 4K. Maybe metabones can release a speedbooster enabling back full frame. Then you got a full frame 10bit camera, which is pretty great. I never owned a camera with IBIS, so I do not care about it. I will stabilize it with dedicated hardware. Dynamic range does kinda suck. But I have been spoiled with the ursa mini pro. So ill get the pocket 4k as B body.

4. Collapse Details
    Yep. I agree. As a Canon stills shooter, I would like nothing more than be able to consider them for video work with the same camera. I would happily buy two and be able to cover everything and buy lenses. But Canon does not see it that way. Instead I purchased a GH5 and an Oly lens for video. It is a shame.

5. Collapse Details
    Or you could just consider this Canon's top of the line crop frame hybrid camera.

6. Collapse Details
    Canon has created a....GH4. Crop in 4K. Internal recording disabled when outputting 10bit.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.