Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    How to light this room?
    I have been asked to quote to film a group of 6 people sitting in U shape either on sofas or chairs in this room and I am wondering how best to light it. This is for Youtube so not an endless budget at all. They want costs and then they will decide. It's in the evening so dark outside and I imagine shooting towards the drapes in the picture but with them closed. I think that is better than shooting back towards the door not that I have seen it. It would be a three camera shoot probably. I cannot think of a way to light it without seeing at least light stands in the back corners but I think that might have to be the case. I own three Aputure 528's and an LS1. I don't think a Manfrotto autopole type arrangement between the two walls to hang lights off would be allowed. I had thought of something like a Kino Flo Select 30 behind the cameras over the top but I'm worried about it throwing a shadow on the ceiling like the one that the flash is throwing in the attached image. If anybody has any ideas or thoughts about lighting this I would be incredibly grateful. med_85b38b912ab59dbaffd4c781457efe0a.jpg

2. Collapse Details
    There is not enough information to decide what to do. Are the three cameras stationary or moving? Where are the cameras? What is the blocking? What is the desired look? I.e. just give them plenty of light for a talk show or is this something that needs some modeling light. That beam in the middle offers an opportunity to have some pipe clamps clamped to it (with some carpet or something to protect the walls) to hang some lights. The same goes for the pillars in the middle.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Looks like a bitch to light. Where are the cameras going to be? Having some light outside the window would make the shot look more interesting rather then closed drapes imo.

4. Collapse Details
    I would be shooting with up to three static cameras on sticks pointing towards the drapes. That was my plan. They would be sitting on chairs in a U shape or on sofas. Its a lifestyle conversation for want of a better phrase. It's not a narrative piece. The idea is to just give enough light for a talk as you say Paul. I don't think they are going to move. I mentioned the autopole in my post but I don't think that would be allowed but I confess I haven't asked.

I thought having the drapes open given that its dark outside at the time of filming would just create horrible reflections of lights and cameras.

5. Collapse Details
    It's a very small room for how big the table is. If assuming they will sit on the table, given the info you've given so far, id think about a ceiling bounce. It'll spill everywhere and it doesn't seem like you'll have space to flag and shape, but at least everyone will be softly lit.

One light camera left, and one light camera right. Both lighting as large an area of the ceiling as possible.

Based on the equipment you've listed, I don't think clamping an overhead light will yield better results since it would require a large softbox and eggcrate to control spill. If both of these elements were possible, then I'd say clamp light overhead. But if not, just clamping a few small sources up there will render harder shadows, which may not be the best outcome for your talent...although I could be wrong.

6. Collapse Details
    IF you are not allowed to setup a wall spreader- (room doesn't look too wide but location may not allow)
    Large chimera pancake (or equivalent) on a menace arm, better yet 2 large chimera pancakes creating a long soft skirted overhead light.
    or
    8' Quasar tubes- probably 4 on the appropriate tube holder, again on a menace arm diapered with diffusion and skirted to control the spill.

The stick for the menace are would land towards a corner on the door side.

A couple of your LED lights on sticks to use as fill as needed.
    karlkimdp.com
    Local 600
    email: karlkimdp@gmail.com

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by abreu-canedo View Post
    It's a very small room for how big the table is. If assuming they will sit on the table, given the info you've given so far, id think about a ceiling bounce. It'll spill everywhere and it doesn't seem like you'll have space to flag and shape, but at least everyone will be softly lit.

One light camera left, and one light camera right. Both lighting as large an area of the ceiling as possible.

Based on the equipment you've listed, I don't think clamping an overhead light will yield better results since it would require a large softbox and eggcrate to control spill. If both of these elements were possible, then I'd say clamp light overhead. But if not, just clamping a few small sources up there will render harder shadows, which may not be the best outcome for your talent...although I could be wrong.
    The tables won't be there. Sorry I thought I had said that. I was thinking of a large ceiling bounce but I was worried about that central beam causing problems but then on thinking about it the shadow won't be in shot.

Thank you for helping.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by klk View Post
    IF you are not allowed to setup a wall spreader- (room doesn't look too wide but location may not allow)
    Large chimera pancake (or equivalent) on a menace arm, better yet 2 large chimera pancakes creating a long soft skirted overhead light.
    or
    8' Quasar tubes- probably 4 on the appropriate tube holder, again on a menace arm diapered with diffusion and skirted to control the spill.

The stick for the menace are would land towards a corner on the door side.

A couple of your LED lights on sticks to use as fill as needed.

Thank you for that. I will have a look at menace arms.

9. Collapse Details
    I think the first win is placing the horse-shoe of talent at a jaunty angle to the room.

Next you want to sort out the camera positions.

Now think hard if you are going to show both walls.

Because if you can keep the right (or left) wall out then just line up your lights and bounce them off that wall - way more efficient than dumbo space eating soft boxes.

If you had a fresnel or two you could fire them into the top of the seen wall to bouce back for a bit of hair light.

Id also try and get a couple of practicals into the corners.. take your own 10w tungsten bulbs.

I think 'flying' lights is a bit of a last resort with all that white to bounce off and risks panda eyes.

And yep keep the ceiling out of shot.

You could also re-lamp the choach lights on the walls or just leve them as is. it would be nice to diffuse them somehow - maybe 'pop' to ikea

Remember the inverse square law means that talent close to fixtures creates hell when you are lighting multiple talent.. another argument for boucing from side walls.

Keeping the curtain open could create 'depth' but also knacker you for reflections.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    I think the first win is placing the horse-shoe of talent at a jaunty angle to the room.

Next you want to sort out the camera positions.

Now think hard if you are going to show both walls.

Because if you can keep the right (or left) wall out then just line up your lights and bounce them off that wall - way more efficient than dumbo space eating soft boxes.

If you had a fresnel or two you could fire them into the top of the seen wall to bouce back for a bit of hair light.

Id also try and get a couple of practicals into the corners.. take your own 10w tungsten bulbs.

I think 'flying' lights is a bit of a last resort with all that white to bounce off and risks panda eyes.

And yep keep the ceiling out of shot.

You could also re-lamp the choach lights on the walls or just leve them as is. it would be nice to diffuse them somehow - maybe 'pop' to ikea

Remember the inverse square law means that talent close to fixtures creates hell when you are lighting multiple talent.. another argument for boucing from side walls.

Keeping the curtain open could create 'depth' but also knacker you for reflections.
    Thanks very much Sam. Food for thought.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast