Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Hmmm . . . the size is about right but there are no hinges for the clasp to attach to, and the eye piece doesn't fit flat against the VF frame because there is a bump on the right side of viewfinder where it connects to the camera. But with a little ingenuity it could be made to work. But why bother because the tube is going to extend almost as far back as the built-in OLED viewfinder anyway even if you get it to fit on. If the idea is to create a quasi shouldermount setup I'd recommend a 3rd party viewfinder on a noga arm that places it forward to about where the zoom ring sits.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

2. Collapse Details
    Yeah. That was the idea. Quasi.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    I finally sold my original EX1 (circa 2007) two weeks ago and now it has a nice new home in South Africa with a very happy new owner. He couldn't believe how new it still looked.
    My Z280 is my new favorite toy. If you think you liked the EX1 you will absolutely love the Z280. S-LOG, 4K 60P, 10-bit 4:2:2, XAVC-I, a beautiful OLED viewfinder, and a 17X zoom lens in a small package is a nice combo. It wouldn't surprise me if we see a quasi-shouldermount "EX3" version of the Z280 by next NAB. It seems the logical next step.
    Doug, Since you now own a Z280 I have a question regarding the Z280 lens ramping that has been raised on other threads and forums. I briefly played with the Z280 at NAB NY last fall. When I manually set the lens to f1.9 and zoomed throughout the lens range, the iris value displayed on the LCD did not change. This gave me the impression the lens is a constant aperture lens. Others have stated the lens does in fact does ramp as you zoom in. If so, how much? I would like to see the actual iris value displayed on the LCD as you change the focal length of the lens. As a side note, I had the opportunity to attend one of your Sony presentations at the old Camera Company video expo some years back. When it comes to Sony products, you know your stuff.
    Last edited by nutmegger; 09-02-2018 at 08:04 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the compliment. Boy that was a few years ago at the Camera Company!

I can cofirm that the displayed iris value stays constant as the lens is zoomed in, but there is definately a dimming of the exposure. Its not very much, but it is there. it is plain to see as the zebras start to disappear as the lens zooms in and the light levels drop. I have been on the road teaching workshops since before I even got my camera so I have not had a chance to put it on scopes and charts to get an actual measurment. But I will do that when I get home late next week. But with all that said, I don't feel it is a big issue at all, especially when shooting S-LOG. I think it is less than a stop, but it is there. My Z190 will be waiting for me when I get home so I'm eager to test that camera as well.
    Doug Jensen, Sony camcorder instructor
    http://www.dougjensen.com/

5. Collapse Details
    When i was working for VER in Chicago as a camera tech, we had 2-4 EX3s going out a week. They were constantly working!
    GEAR
    AJA KiProMini
    Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2008

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12