Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    EX-3: not quite dead yet.
    I ran the camera for a satellite uplink truck at a Presidential event yesterday. Because we were going to do some run and gun between events, I brought the rusty old EX-3. I also figured I'd need to be able to zoom during the live event, and my digital cinema cameras use primes and manual zooms.

Pretty funny how many shooters walked by, saw the camera up on the sticks in the "pool" location, did a double take and asked what camera that was. How soon they forget...

Picture looked great on the bird, BTW, even at the 720P the network demanded.

2. Collapse Details
    As one of the last midsize cameras with a swappable lens it is interesting indeed. (in fact 'usable lens' !)

I use my EX1 a lot, if I snagged a decent lensed EX3 that would be of interest and id check 10bit out recording.

S

3. Collapse Details
    I finally sold my original EX1 (circa 2007) two weeks ago and now it has a nice new home in South Africa with a very happy new owner. He couldn't believe how new it still looked.
    My Z280 is my new favorite toy. If you think you liked the EX1 you will absolutely love the Z280. S-LOG, 4K 60P, 10-bit 4:2:2, XAVC-I, a beautiful OLED viewfinder, and a 17X zoom lens in a small package is a nice combo. It wouldn't surprise me if we see a quasi-shouldermount "EX3" version of the Z280 by next NAB. It seems the logical next step.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if we see a quasi-shouldermount "EX3" version of the Z280 by next NAB. It seems the logical next step.
    I hope so DJ as that would suit me down to the ground for quite a few job requirements where I'm still using an EX3 with an 18 x 2/3" B4 with an ACM21 hooked up to either a NanoFlash or Atomos if better than 50Mbps is required. Still find a lot of clients still like the old 50Mbps 422 XDCam codec which I see the Z280 carries. With a real viewfinder and interchangeable lenses a PXW-Z300 or whatever will indeed find some acceptance in the production world.

Chris Young

5. Collapse Details
    I still use Ex3 cameras for concert projections and conferences..cab't beat price/performance and lowlight also acceptable..

6. Collapse Details
    Doug: do you think the Z280 would fit the bill as a "climb into the crawlspace/clamber over rocks chasing the subject" kind of handheld camera? Or would something like the Z90 be a better fit? I played a bit with a Z90 this past week on a shoot and really liked it, although there's a lot to learn about the 3,230 auofocus combinations, it seems. ;}

7. Collapse Details
    The strong points of the Z90 are the tiny size and great AF. But the Z280 beats it hands down in every other way you want to compare them. Having XAVC-I 10-bit S-LOG @60 fps in 4K is huge. Footage from the Z280 grades out very nicely in Resolve. But that is just the tip of the iceberg of how the Z280 blows the doors off the Z90, Z150, and even the FS5. The FS7 is the least expensive camera that can give the Z280 a run for its money, but then of course you got the hassle/benefit of removable lenses and short zoom ranges. The closest cousin to the Z280 in terms of capabilities is actually the Z450, but then you are into a $60K camera after you add a lens, VF, batteries, etc.

8. Collapse Details
    DJ.. Do you think there is a possiblity of the EX3 Z280 style having a lens with 24mmFF, 76 degrees, 18 S35, 2/3-4.7mm or however you want to describe a 'proper wide' end of the zoom or an old EX3 lens bringing this?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    DJ.. Do you think there is a possiblity of the EX3 Z280 style having a lens with 24mmFF, 76 degrees, 18 S35, 2/3-4.7mm or however you want to describe a 'proper wide' end of the zoom or an old EX3 lens bringing this?
    Hmmm, I don't agree that all those focal lengths you have listed are equivalent fields of view. But ignoring that, S35 is the one that matters most to me so I'll address that one. The Z280 has an equivalent S35 zoom range of 18.2mm - 309mm. Only .2mm above what you want, so that ought to be close enough? If Sony releases a quasi-shoulder mount version of the Z280 that looks like an EX3 it will likely have the exact same lens.

10. Collapse Details
    hmmm...I wonder if the viewfinder/diopter for the FS-7 would fit on the flip out LCD on the Z280?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast