Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Sony's AI aided AF on the consumer/low pro level (from A6400 to A9) are top notch. If it's absent on their pro line, it's an intentional omission.
    I don't think it's an intentional omission. It's just a product cycle. Sony started to have really good AF Sony only form A7RII. FS5 and FS7 are using older sensors from times when their AF was sh*te.
    I'm very certain next-gen Sony pro line up will have much better AF, this will also boost lens sales, win-win for Sony.
    FS7 & other

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Sony's AI aided AF on the consumer/low pro level (from A6400 to A9) are top notch. If it's absent on their pro line, it's an intentional omission.
    Works exceedingly well on their little Z90. If it comes to their higher end cameras I think it would go down well.

Chris Young

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OnSet View Post
    I have a feeling that considering all the elements that go into the process it might not be that trivial -- plus you'd probably need to use some new RM controller system to do the ramping.
    I haven't run across a lot of demand for the feature. Last time I did a speed ramp I was still shooting on film -- and we lit the spot with a Unilux strobe system (sync'd to the camera's shutter) to maintain consistent exposure.
    I thought most speed ramps these days were done by shooting at a HFR in the camera and then adjusting the play speed and adding motion blur in post...
    With VariCams you can speed ramp in real time in-camera(4-60 with tape and 1-60 with P2) and the easiest way to maintain exposure was to just lock the shutter speed to the fastest you’d need it/want it for the highest frame speed.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    With VariCams you can speed ramp in real time in-camera(4-60 with tape and 1-60 with P2) and the easiest way to maintain exposure was to just lock the shutter speed to the fastest you’d need it/want it for the highest frame speed.
    I never realized that -- didn't shoot that much with the Varicams. Was it easy to change in-camera while rolling? Did you need to keep a menu open? Accomplish it with the rotary menu dial?

Of course on a tech level -- as I recall the tape varicams (at least here in the US) always recorded 60 frames/second - and then 'threw away' the frames that weren't being used when it was played back. So presumably the speed ramping was telling the camera/recorder which frames to keep? Or do I have that wrong? If you tried playing it back in camera would it show you the speed ramp? Or was it just metadata that went to the NLE -- which would mean that you could do the same ramp in post?
    Do the P2 Varicams play it back properly in camera to check it? (I'm guessing that they should be able to - though I don't have a sense of how the P2 recording data would be structured...)

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    I'm guessing he mentioned that because of stills guys/girls using flash at the same time.
    Yes correct .. a lot of flashes going off.. looks weird on non global shutter.. but you see in big budget movies now.. audiences have come to accept what used to be some big "problem" even shooting promo videos ..

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by cyvideo View Post
    Works exceedingly well on their little Z90. If it comes to their higher end cameras I think it would go down well.
    The Z90 has a dedicated fixed lens, how would this work for their higher end cine cameras ? ( interchangeable dedicated power zooms with AF motors ? )

7. Collapse Details
    A couple of thoughts on flash.. from someone whos done a lot of stills!

1) In 2000AD flash powers were exposing in the stills cam for 100ISO, maybe F8, today typically a location shoot will be 800/F4 , 1/16 of the size of the flash.

2) in a big budget your 'actor photographers' would minimise the power of their prop flashes as they don't need to take real photos unless they form part of the script later or even get a led rigged into the flash gun and flash for 1/50th, not 1/500th.

The flash band today is nothing like the flash band of 2000

In our studio we have 500w/s flashes and they are mainly problematically bright even for stills.

Id still want global mainly for rock gig light shows, which do have extreme bright flashes.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OnSet View Post
    I never realized that -- didn't shoot that much with the Varicams. Was it easy to change in-camera while rolling? Did you need to keep a menu open? Accomplish it with the rotary menu dial?

Of course on a tech level -- as I recall the tape varicams (at least here in the US) always recorded 60 frames/second - and then 'threw away' the frames that weren't being used when it was played back. So presumably the speed ramping was telling the camera/recorder which frames to keep? Or do I have that wrong? If you tried playing it back in camera would it show you the speed ramp? Or was it just metadata that went to the NLE -- which would mean that you could do the same ramp in post?
    Do the P2 Varicams play it back properly in camera to check it? (I'm guessing that they should be able to - though I don't have a sense of how the P2 recording data would be structured...)
    With the tape version there were two buttons to run up and down through the frame rate once activated and you could also do it(more easily) with an attached remote control panel. And yes, the tape was always running at a constant 60fps, the camera would just do a pull-down internally. So when you did shoot slow-mo or other off-speed footage, it had to be done in post to playback properly. If you shot 60 for slow-mo, it would just playback as regular 60p(real-time video). With P2, however, it would playback straight out of camera correctly(i.e: shooting 60fps with 24 fps base frame rate resulted in 2.5x slow-mo playing back correctly). Only the correct frames were recorded. As a bonus, you got a huge increase in record time when shooting 24p vs. 60p.

9. Collapse Details
    seems like i never see anyone mention on-board image stabilization in these tea leaf-reading threads, while i can imagine few more useful functions in a camera so commonly used with a huge variety of lenses. while its exclusion probably bolsters the market for native e-mount gear, there can't be much of a technical/mechanical impediment to its integration into a camera body....

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingo View Post
    The Z90 has a dedicated fixed lens, how would this work for their higher end cine cameras ? ( interchangeable dedicated power zooms with AF motors ? )
    I'm finding the same focusing tech that is in the Z90 is working very accurately and pretty fast on my A7III with Sony's 28-135mm and 18-110mm interchangeable servo stabilized lenses in both FF and crop so I guess that sort of Hybrid AF on an upgraded S35 third gen BSI Stacked Sensor on the FS7 Mk xxx? would be something I would consider fairly useful in certain situations. Even the old 18-200mm 11 x servo zoom with 'Active' stabilization works very well on the A7III's Hybrid focus. Again pretty quick and as stable as a rock at 11 x zoom. Still rock solid and quick focusing with 2 x Clear Image at 22x zoom. Never thought that I an old school film manual everything shooter would say this about AF but I just have

The 28-135, not my favorite and the 18-110, much much the better of the two lenses both work on the A7III in the same manner as shown in the two following clips. The cameras in these two Sony clips use exactly the same Hybrid AF as the Z90.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2cQwghjIQk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YzqlNZk97o

Here is a more real world example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DT3fRzCnoo

This sort of auto focus on an FS7 with lenses that can work with it would tempt me for sure.

EDIT: Just remembered Doug Jensen did a demo on the Z90's Hybrid AF. Check his comments under this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5dHmNSLQFA

Chris Young
    Last edited by cyvideo; 04-17-2019 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Added info

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast