Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    You missed the possibility of a speedbooster and buiding a set that works with your Gh5 B camera.

You missed facing swapping out a load of lenses if you were upgrading from the extremely succesful GH3/4/5 cameras.

Maybe not relevant to you.. but the EVA should be the aspiring upgrade for every GH3/4/5 owner who has realised that ND and XLR are not for fools.
    And many if not most of the people we surveyed in they would be interested in moving from a GH camera were using EF-mount glass.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bill totolo View Post
    EF lenses work just fine on my Amira, I get all the electronic data through my Canon mount, and control Iris without issue. Did I miss something?
    Sorry Bill, my oversight. I always think of the Amira as having the PL mount on it. (Thus when I get hired on an Amira shoot I typically may bring some PL lenses -- and none of the companies I work for that own Amiras have the EF adapters for them.)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OnSet View Post
    Probably didn't want to have to deal with all the complaints they would have gotten from people thinking they could use their existing MFT lenses on the camera. Much as I would like to be able to use my MFT 12-60 as a run-around lens on the EVA1, I probably wouldn't be very happy with the small image circle in the middle of a massively vignetted frame.
    People absolutely could have used MFT glass on the EVA1 MFT as well, just like people do with the JVC LS300
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

4. Collapse Details
    I thought that cam was well deisnged but has some critical flaw (I cant remember what - 20mbs 420 codec or something that made it unusable)

I think they upgraded the codec but no one noticed.. maybe they should have
    Yes, they updated it to 422 internal.

But still, when consider its low low price at the time at which it was released, then having 4K 8bit internal isn't that bad. After all the FS5 was the same, as was the C100 (heck, not only is the C100 8bit, it can't even do 4K!).

Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    JVC tried it. It didn't go anywhere.
    And the reasons for that was..... ?

I'd say the #1 reason was because it was JVC

And the MFT mount is one of the few things which helped save the LS300 and got it more attention.

In the broader context, the JVC LS300 still has been their "most successful cinema camera recently"! ha ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Pretty sure that was one of the main reasons Mitch/Panasonic gave: people would have been trying to use MFT lenses on the EVA1 and they wouldn’t cover the sensor.
    Native MFT lenses could have been automatically detected and adjusted for by default.

Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    A) As mentioned, MFT wouldn't cover the APS-C sensor without a serious crop.
    It is only a moderately mild crop to go from APS-C/S35 to MFT

5. Collapse Details
    You missed the possibility of a speedbooster and buiding a set that works with your Gh5 B camera.

You missed facing swapping out a load of lenses if you were upgrading from the extremely succesful GH3/4/5 cameras.

Maybe not relevant to you.. but the EVA should be the aspiring upgrade for every GH3/4/5 owner who has realised that ND and XLR are not for fools.
    This.

A THOUSAND TIMES THIS!!!

For years Panasonic has built up a successful line up and following of fans with their GH1/2/3/4/5/5S cameras (not to mention all their others, I quite like my old G6 for instance. And hope to get a G85 soon).

Where is the natural upgrade for all these many users for them to be able to stay within the "Panasonic Family"??

Back in the GH1/GH2 days you at least had the option of an AF100 to possibly consider.

But now? It is utter MADNESS that Panasonic has nothing which is a natural upgrade for shooters to aspire to.

As if they're going to switch lens systems and get themselves an EVA1, well then they might as well consider jumping ship just as easily to something else completely different like a C300mk2/UMP/FS7/Terra/Raven/etc

This was a big massive missed opportunity by Panasonic to keep hold of their existing built in fan base, instead of throwing them away and risking them leak across to the competition instead.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    And many if not most of the people we surveyed in they would be interested in moving from a GH camera were using EF-mount glass.
    I wasn’t surveyed and I’m hugely interested in cameras in
    the EVA, FS7, C200, C300ii price range �� I will say, if I
    would have been surveyed, and I was invested in EF-mount
    glass to the point that I was using EF glass on GH cameras
    and I was looking for an upgrade.....I’d be inclined to upgrade
    too a C200 or C300ii so I could make full use of the glass,
    autofocus and such.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    And the reasons for that was..... ?
    I think it was too much trouble/hassle to go about with the system. I believe (but don't quote myself on that) that I said when it came out --- if it were "more than 4K", then the crop made it "only 4K", then it'd be OK for more people. As it was, everyone was going toward 4K and the camera picked an odd niche to be in.

Plus, as you said, it was an only ILC JVC product, et cetera, et cetera.

In the broader context, the JVC LS300 still has been their "most successful cinema camera recently"! ha ;-)
    To quote that Dickens fella, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times". Or, to quote myself, "It's easy to be a gold medalist in a one man race".

Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    This.

A THOUSAND TIMES THIS!!!

For years Panasonic has built up a successful line up and following of fans with their GH1/2/3/4/5/5S cameras (not to mention all their others, I quite like my old G6 for instance. And hope to get a G85 soon).

Where is the natural upgrade for all these many users for them to be able to stay within the "Panasonic Family"??

Back in the GH1/GH2 days you at least had the option of an AF100 to possibly consider.

But now? It is utter MADNESS that Panasonic has nothing which is a natural upgrade for shooters to aspire to...
    That's right. It was a corporate decision - made in the conjunction with other manufacturers - that MFT shall remain an entry level line. No upgrade to the AF-100 tier. Panasonic, Olympus and everyone else in the MFT Coalition was using Sony sensors and Sony wasn't going to make a 6K MFT sensor back at that time and there was no serious movement to use the same sensor on a higher end model. There was even no movement to make the GH bodies more like the AF, despite GH being mostly used for video rather than stills.

On the other hand, GH-4 got a 10-bit upgrade, something that even the much higher priced Sony models lacked. In that arrangement, it's the Sony mirrorless users that got screwed.

And the 5D series got the crop.

That's how the cartel works.

8. Collapse Details
    What is the point of this? The decision was made several years ago. What is past is past, however you feel about it. Move on.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    What is the point of this? The decision was made several years ago. What is past is past, however you feel about it. Move on.
    To some extent the point of this is to give you, and anyone watching from the dark, help and guidance in influencing the makers to deliver product that is desired by people on this board who may or may not represent a wider market.

While 'we' don't represent a good cross section a lot of us do shoot and have owned various cameras and used them in the field a lot. Unlike you average blogger who use a camera for 10mins and then issues their opinion.

I for one hope that input is positive and you don't feel hammered.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    As being pro MFT (for event/art corporate) I think it is small enough to make a viable semi pro zoom (not that there is one) and large enough for reasonable lowlight and narrow DOF when used with fast primes. Its the step that can bridge between vido and 'cinema'

Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast