Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Please...if you do the mini-van thing, have a safety strap around you. Not someone in there just holding onto you. Leaning out even over a lip is not truly safe. if the van has to suddenly accelerate and you are right on that balance point, it won't take much to fall out . In addition, the camera itself should be separately safetied to the vehicle. Obviously you don't want your camera trashed but most importantly, you don't want it going under the bike and knocking over the rider.

I did all kinds of unsafe rigs in my early days of shooting but am now an overly cautious advocate. It doesn't take a tremendous amount of work to strap in. "It's just a quick shot" could mean a disaster.
    Charles Papert

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    Please...if you do the mini-van thing, have a safety strap around you. Not someone in there just holding onto you. Leaning out even over a lip is not truly safe. if the van has to suddenly accelerate and you are right on that balance point, it won't take much to fall out . In addition, the camera itself should be separately safetied to the vehicle. Obviously you don't want your camera trashed but most importantly, you don't want it going under the bike and knocking over the rider.

I did all kinds of unsafe rigs in my early days of shooting but am now an overly cautious advocate. It doesn't take a tremendous amount of work to strap in. "It's just a quick shot" could mean a disaster.
    Yeah, the safety straps/harnesses/tie-outs are really inexpensive, especially on-line at some of the sites that specialize in industrial safety products.

3. Collapse Details
    Yes if we go that way I will get one of those.

I have to tell you...I found some stuff on youtube of gopros on selfie sticks...I aint hatin it for what it is. And theres even a video where one cyclist simply rides ahead of the other with a gopro mounted on back of the bike facing backward (maybe someone mentioned this and I missed it). its not bad. Also some guy with a 10 ft, yes 10ft selfie stick. looks kinda like drone footage and stick is somehow invisible in the shot (though there is this weird blue tint on half the image).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234