Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by markfpv View Post
    The object, auto-tracking feature of P4pro drone - or perhaps even better - the 48mm optical zoom of the new Mavic Pro 2 zoom - might give you good results as well - if you are shooting in wide open area and can fly the drone a bit left or right of the rider. (object tracking works pretty well in my limited experience with it - and will keep the drone the same distance from whatever object it is tracking). Shoot in 4k and edit in HD to give even tighter shot (if really necessary).
    I've shot "vehicle-to-vehicle" handheld many times before, with good results. I just stumbled across an Olympic piece I did for NBC a few years ago on some cyclists and all of the riding footage was me handheld hanging out of a mini-van. I was surprised going back and watching it. One of the keys is to be close so that you can still have "tight" shots without shooting at extremely long focal lengths. Of course, there may have been some post stabilization in some of the tighter shots.

BUT I was also about to suggest the drone thing, too. Some of the examples I've seen from the Mavic 2 with its new object tracking are pretty damn amazing. Mine just came in and I may give it a shot later and see for myself. Although I don't have a bike, anymore...

2. Collapse Details
    This device looks like it works well; just not always practical with its workflow:

https://vimeo.com/105905316

https://vimeo.com/104633742

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I've shot "vehicle-to-vehicle" handheld many times before, with good results. I just stumbled across an Olympic piece I did for NBC a few years ago on some cyclists and all of the riding footage was me handheld hanging out of a mini-van. I was surprised going back and watching it. One of the keys is to be close so that you can still have "tight" shots without shooting at extremely long focal lengths. Of course, there may have been some post stabilization in some of the tighter shots.

BUT I was also about to suggest the drone thing, too. Some of the examples I've seen from the Mavic 2 with its new object tracking are pretty damn amazing. Mine just came in and I may give it a shot later and see for myself. Although I don't have a bike, anymore...
    In my younger days, I shot both 16mm film from the back of a small hatchback as well as lots of ENG news and or local commercials from a moving van, back of pick up trucks and even once from the platform top of a "live news truck". (I certainly wouldn't recommend this now - any abrupt stop would have tossed me right off).
    When I first got my P4Pro drone about a year or so ago, I tested the object tracking and was quite impressed with how reliable it was. I don't have a need for it in most of the paid drone work I've been doing, but it should be an option - just would warn not to try to get too close to the rider (and maybe be about 3 or 4 foot above them - helping to see the bike). But you can set that distance when rider is stopped & drone is hovering. And then the drone will simply start backing up, keeping the same distance between itself and the rider once the rider begins to pedal.

Someone else may have already mentioned this - but even using a small mirrorless cam with a cheap handheld gimbal and lightweight sticks (or possibly monopod) in either the back of a pick-up truck or out of an open hatchback - keeping focal distance to a minimum - should get decent results. Doing any of these in an area where there will be no other traffic - and no possible reasons for abrupt stops - is hopefully a given.

4. Collapse Details
    Have the performer tail a second bike that's pulling a trailer carrying the camera operator. A drone might be the easiest way to get the shot, but it's not as fun as my alternate idea.

5. Collapse Details
    Many of these are cool ideas but not necessarily feasible given our resources. I do know people with gimbals and drones however.

6. Collapse Details
    I have done this with a camera op in the back of an ATV with a steadicam. I have also done this handheld with a phantom 4 pro in the back of a golf cart.

If the situation was right, you could probably just fly a drone ahead of the bike.

7. Collapse Details
    So if I understand, doing it from any vehicle would require the vehicle to be going at pretty good clip so as to allow the cyclist to get up to a reasonable speed, yes? Like, what, 15-25 mph?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    'Go Pro on a vehicle'

I think if it is worth doing its worth doing properly. Dont bother with that one.

--

If I were doinig anything with a gopro I would do a snorricam.. (rig by SMM) cycling in about third verse)

Of course it all depends on what type of shot you
    are looking for. That being said, I did a shoot with
    American Eagle where we did exactly this with GoPros
    on a vehicle. This was on a shoot with a large budget
    and I’m pretty sure they knew how to ‘do things properly.’
    A-cam was Red Epic. There were 3 motion camera crews
    and 5 or 6 still photographer crews. I was an AC and part
    of my job was setting up GoPro shots.....they did a TON
    of GoPro stuff....including GoPro on a vehicle tracking shots.
    If you have a smooth road, a nice new car with air suspension,
    it looks decent. Definitely shoot in the higher bitrate/ProTune.
    It’s certainly not a Russian arm with a Red but it’s pretty
    cheap to try it and see if it would work for your purposes.
    Assuming you have a GoPro or can borrow one.

Drone shot is another good option. It really all depends
    on what type of shot you are looking for. Drone shots, like
    GoPro shots are wider than you may want. Because they
    are so wide though, you can also find a mount to go
    off the bike (sort of like a short selfie stick( off the handlebars
    or such) looking back at the rider
    Last edited by alaskacameradude; 08-28-2018 at 04:10 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Yes this will be a bottom of the barrel bare bones low budget shoot. You know those guys who just cast their friends and use whatever's available? That's what we'll be doing.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
    So if I understand, doing it from any vehicle would require the vehicle to be going at pretty good clip so as to allow the cyclist to get up to a reasonable speed, yes? Like, what, 15-25 mph?
    I've done it at under 10mph from motorcycles and various four-wheel vehicles (usually SUV-ish)...

25mph is rather fast on flat ground; like bike-racing fast. 8-13mph is more leisurely...like commuting or riding through town singing.

Drones could be fun for some shots, but will the camera on a drone you can get be too limiting in terms of image-qual?

But again, the smaller the vehicle, the better, imo. Bike first, eBike second, vespa-style scooter, then up to golf carts, ATVs (both good ideas). Don't see a need for a car; in fact, I'd suggest not using a camera car.

But then, maybe have a car trailing way behind (effectively out of the shot) with a walkie so they can give you a heads up if some cranky car comes zooming up.
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast