Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I ended up canceling my pre-order for the BMD Pocket 4K and got the Z6 instead, as I already have a PixE 5 Monitor/recorder. The battery is the only limit to video clip length to an external recorder, like when recording to the Ninja or PixE.

This summer, Atomos and Nikon are jointly releasing ProRes Raw on the Z6, recording on the Ninja.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny16; 02-22-2019 at 11:49 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Dredging this thread back up...

Anyone have further experience with the Z6 these past months? General or specific impressions/issues?

Per the "wobbling" mentioned earlier up-thread, reminds me of the issues I had with the early-firmware Fuji X-H1: the IBIS was excellent for photography but really couldn't handle the moving image, especially when there was a lot of information, i.e. wider angles, diagonal movement, etc. At the time I decided that the X-H1 wasn't ready for hand-held use. Never had a chance to put it on a gimbal which I would do now. I wonder about the Z6 and a gimbal.

3. Collapse Details
    I have the Z6 and while I haven't used it on a project yet, I am dubious about two aspects of it. It pretty much requires a Ninja to be useable for video. The native monitoring options are limited, to get the full benefits of the output (10 bit 422), you need to record externally, and SSDs will be better recording media for this camera. The other concern is a double-edged issue for me. The adaptor allows you to utilize any f-mount glass which is one of the main attractions for me as there are some great, inexpensive Nikkor options. The camera has settings you can configure to accommodate the manual aperture glass for exposure, which is nice. However, if you care about AF performance then you will want native glass and it's not as video friendly as I would prefer. The manual focus is fly-by-wire.

So, on a gimbal, this will be okay. You will want a recorder/monitor. The issues are addressable and with the potential of the glass, it makes it worth it to me to invest as I can use the f-mount on rented Reds as well. A set of Ais lenses can be cinematized pretty inexpensively.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    You are not limited to using only a Ninja recorder, I have used my PixE recorder with the Z6, and it works well. However, for the upcoming Raw recording, you will need the new Ninja recorder.
    Cheers

5. Collapse Details
    It's a shame Video Devices have completely discontinued their PixE range. Anyone know why? Was competition pricing the reason?

Chris Young

6. Collapse Details
    I guess they were too thinly spread and the competition from the East too high.

Also there is a tautology.. anyone preperaed to pay for SD quality and reliability would never use an external recorder as they would consider the connector too non reliable for professional use.

SD people own cameras with proper internal recording.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Also there is a tautology.. anyone preperaed to pay for SD quality and reliability would never use an external recorder as they would consider the connector too non reliable for professional use.
    Sam - two models of the SD PIX have both SDI/HDMI in & out (with conversion)... it's the cheaper H models with only HDMI

8. Collapse Details
    Interesting. It seems from what I have been reading that the external recorder is needed even without 10-bit 422 in mind as the 8-bit internal really isn't as robust as some (such as a C100's 8-bit or the files from the X-T3).

Quote Originally Posted by George Loch View Post
    I have the Z6 and while I haven't used it on a project yet, I am dubious about two aspects of it. It pretty much requires a Ninja to be useable for video. The native monitoring options are limited, to get the full benefits of the output (10 bit 422), you need to record externally, and SSDs will be better recording media for this camera. The other concern is a double-edged issue for me. The adaptor allows you to utilize any f-mount glass which is one of the main attractions for me as there are some great, inexpensive Nikkor options. The camera has settings you can configure to accommodate the manual aperture glass for exposure, which is nice. However, if you care about AF performance then you will want native glass and it's not as video friendly as I would prefer. The manual focus is fly-by-wire.

So, on a gimbal, this will be okay. You will want a recorder/monitor. The issues are addressable and with the potential of the glass, it makes it worth it to me to invest as I can use the f-mount on rented Reds as well. A set of Ais lenses can be cinematized pretty inexpensively.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Hergt View Post
    Interesting. It seems from what I have been reading that the external recorder is needed even without 10-bit 422 in mind as the 8-bit internal really isn't as robust as some (such as a C100's 8-bit or the files from the X-T3).
    It's really not great. I just returned mine.

-gl

10. Collapse Details
    If used with internal recording - I'd choose Fuji X-T3. All the picture quality in Nikon Z6 can only be had using external recorder. But with external recorder this camera is beyond anything mirrorless, imo.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast