Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Keep it up!

I also consider myself to be somewhat of a 'image generalist' and do enjoy 3D. I think it's a good way to explore ideas that might be hard to realise any other way. And with today's light simulators/renderers with energy conserving materials, there is nothing stopping us from creating very realistic images.

While there is a learning curve to it, the reward is huge: you need a crane? Done. You need an Airbus 380? Well, no problemódone! You need an undisturbed island filled with palms lit by a spectacular sky and two suns... with a spaceship landing on the beach? Well, now that's a.... just kiddingódone! ;)

At some point I was learning about woods and I was doing something in the kitchen. I saw my KitchenAid and knew they come in many colors. I don't think I've seen one in wood. What would that look like? Like this?

@andreemarkefors

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Yeah those are some of the things I love about 3D. Being able to modify things like your wooden KitchenAid, haha. Placing lights wherever you need without massive expense. Getting the perfectlly controlled fly-in shot with no risk of damage....etc.
    I've stepped away from my V-ray Van/drone scene. Too many other things I need to do and it's taking too much time trying to learn the slate material editor and V-ray at once. I'm like dead in the water.

Been working on a 3D animaton for my photo booth service now and almost have that done

3. Collapse Details
    Was one pass. Very little edit in photoshop afterwards. I reckon you just have to keep at it at some point lately I kind of had the feeling that I bridged some gap and understood it a lot more.

This one I did yesterday

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks and yes. I think you are right. At some point I think (hope) I'll bridge a gap and gain momentum

5. Collapse Details
    I used to work a bit with 3DSMax writing plugins for binary export for custom real-time animation systems, games, and simulators:
    http://www.stereo3d.com/news/news0019.htm

This is a custom physics engine I wrote doing the tire simulation directly on continuous bicubic 3D surfaces. Everything modeled in 3DSMax- track is Bezier patches (very tricky to export from 3DS Max but worth it! (fun))

Engine sound is from a Z06 Corvette I used to drive. Here’s the engine sounding more like the Z06:

Watch the tach and listen to rev limiter: modeled the diff, transmission and engine (up to rotational mass, not pistons and spark plugs haha). You can see the tach reacting to the tires/surface (engine sounds reflect this too, including fuel-cut rev limiter).
    Also modeled fluid dynamics for airflow + network model hides lag up to over 500ms. Graphics are primitive by today’s standards (was created circa 2004). Most racing games (including simulators) aren't very realistic- they're aimed at being easy to drive and fun (and way better graphics and car models), which makes sense. Realistic tire simulation was an interesting puzzle to solve for sure! (more so than fluid dynamics)

Still have a copy of 3DSMax 2010- it’s always been a complex tool, though Blender makes it look like child’s play haha.

6. Collapse Details
    Wanted to dirty my hands with some sci fi... was sketching for fun while the kids were drawing yesterday and decided to try and model one of them. This came out of it.

Its also now my first render with the 2080ti x trio and Arnold GPU beta. It takes a while to start up but the responsiveness of the live viewport once the textures and lights are loaded is great.
    This took 4m50s in 2x2k to render final, with 4 AA and 50 Adaptive.

Done.jpg

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by legrevedotcom View Post
    So next up... made this over the course of the last two days. Think my family disapproves of my tunnel vision when I get caught up in these projects.

I really wanted to try and make rough ice and ended up making a damn cocktail situation. Oh well, its good fun!

I modelled everything from the bottom in Maya. Textured with substances.

Attachment 135098
    Look really good, are those PBR materials? More here:

https://www.allegorithmic.com/products/substance-source
    http://freeassets.net/300-free-measu...als-for-unity/
    https://www.textures.com/browse/pbr-materials/114558
    https://www.sharetextures.com/
    https://freepbr.com/

https://www.allegorithmic.com/blog/y...terial-scanner

Super high end: https://quixel.com/megascans

Back to simpler things (and real-time): this is running on my iPhone-X, using PBR material for ground (see close up of grass) and other camera/lens effects, including physically modeled sky (built in API)- things are so much easier these days- can focus on content more now

8. Collapse Details
    Thats one crazy animation haha... I love real time, and seeing what nvidia and unreal is throwing into the mix promises a great future.

I often use pbr, but I jsut saw Flipped Normals talking about pbr abuse, which I seem to be guilty off x) so will have to put more thought into that use. Substance Painter is great! So easy to round trip between maya and it with Arnold. Also just discovered Marvelous Designer... looking forward to finally be able to mske something that actually resembles a sofa x)

9. Collapse Details
    Flipped Normals is going to render funny haha.
    How does one abuse PBR materials in a photorealistic scene?
    It’s not like you’re flashing a lens flare every two seconds (who’s that director JJ something lol).

So many cool tools now- have you played with Zbrush and Mudbox?

10. Collapse Details
    legrevedotcom and jcs, cool stuff! Thanks for sharing.
    Been working hard for 2 days and finally bridged a gap in understanding and am making some progress. Was much harder than it should have been due to some weird inconsistent glitches in 3ds max which really blew my mind since I didn't know if it was me or the software.
    I'm really liking the results with v-ray, but still only an infant in using it.

Zbrush and mudbox look really cool but I've never used them.
    I wanted to buy Cinema4d and Maya but too much $$ and so far cannot justify the cost nor have the time to learn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast