Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Max has always had bugs- you learn to work around them (save your work frequently, many versions, just like with PP CC haha). Never used Maya much, though sounded like it has less bugs.

Would be nice to see an all new (massively simplified!) 3D modeler+animator created, where it's 100% real-time, including ray tracing, from day one! (latest GPUs have ray tracing specific hardware: https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx/raytracing). While it's pretty easy to make complex software, focusing on generalizing while simplifying pays off in making software simpler, faster, easier to use, and much easier to maintain. Maybe the industry is waiting for sentient AI's to do it for them haha.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs View Post
    Max has always had bugs- you learn to work around them (save your work frequently, many versions, just like with PP CC haha). Never used Maya much, though sounded like it has less bugs.

Would be nice to see an all new (massively simplified!) 3D modeler+animator created, where it's 100% real-time, including ray tracing, from day one! (latest GPUs have ray tracing specific hardware: https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx/raytracing). While it's pretty easy to make complex software, focusing on generalizing while simplifying pays off in making software simpler, faster, easier to use, and much easier to maintain. Maybe the industry is waiting for sentient AI's to do it for them haha.
    Yeah, it would speed up things greatly. I haven't used Vray that much because I found it hard to juggle their render settings but I do love their IPR, so snappy.

Recently Maya got updated with Arnold GPU rendering. It's still in beta and has a lot of quirks. But if the scene is only filled with stuff that Arnold likes, then the rendering is crazy fast. I can do real time modelling with lights on. Or just preview renders with texture. But yeah... the quirks take a bit away from the look dev part of the projects. Fx. the other day I just felt like adding a plant in the background out of focus, but the GPU renderer wouldn't display it. Switched to CPU and it came out fine. But I guess that's just part of it being a beta. I can definitely see the potential.

I haven't tried Redshift, but that also looks insanely fast. I do like Arnolds renders better though.

I upgraded recently to the 2080ti and coming from the 980ti that's quite and improvement. Mind you, if you go that route, make sure your cabinett is big enough xD I had to take out one of the drive bays because the card is so damn long. Even needs a support bracket to be mounted. I found a wooden pencil could do the job x)

Have been working on this the last few days. Had challenges working out how to make steamed glass. I can't seem to find the sweetspot in terms of IOR, roughness and transmission, but I think I came pretty close this time.

warda_done.jpg

3. Collapse Details
    From the last couple of days... made off the original Empire strikes Back schematics

Done_S_text.jpg

4. Collapse Details
    Cool- can you animate it in operation?

5. Collapse Details
    Hm, I could make a simple ignition of it but a real swinging animation would probably take ages to render hehe.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123