Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Falling in love with 3D
    So in between video and film projects I found time again and passion to try and understand how this world works.

I feel quite drawn towards vfx, but so far Im just playing around with hard surface modelling and so on. Of coursr my models are all too clean and therefore look rendered. But Im working my way towards realism. Anyways... had a good few nights lately where I tried some stuff.

Pleade bare with me... Im almost complete noob and I bet my topology sucks x) All done in Maya with Vray, MR or Arnold

PSX_20180820_175551.jpg

Screenshot_20180820-175351_Facebook.jpg

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Looks good legrevedotcom.
    I also love 3D. Been working with it on and off for 15+ years. About 10 years ago I bought some books and took a couple classes to really try to get better, and I did. But then heavy workload and some big problems prevented me from being able to spend any more time learning so I have gone backwards. Most of my work doesn't have the budget for 3D so it ends up being regular editing.
    Nonetheless I just renewed my license for the next version of 3ds Max and I also have V-ray.. Today I am working on an vehicle animation for my company which is cool, but at the same time frustrating because I have forgotten so much. Plus they changed the physics engine so I have to learn the new one now. I wish I had time to spend getting good.

A thing I like about 3D is it gives me the ability to create videos that I simply cannot do otherwise. I cannot physically build a $1,000,000 set like Hollywood. Nor can I afford to crash my real production van through a wall or jump a bridge. But in 3D.......

3. Collapse Details
    Yeah I agree completely. My biggest challenge right now is to find a "spot" to grow in a more concentrated way. Everything seems interesting and fun although I think organic modelling isnt my forte hehe.

But now I also "discovered" photogrammetry, which kind of short cuts my wanting to do hyper realism. But man, suddenly my computer seems slow. :/ cant afford to upgrade at the moment so it will have to do.

I grabbed some assets in the forest this weekend. Managed to model a tree. The twig I found ate my ram before it could finish the dense cloud :/

Heres the tree:

PSX_20180924_204458.jpg
    PSX_20180924_204411.jpg

4. Collapse Details
    It's been a while since I had time to sit down and dig into rendering and modelling, but the last few nights I had a few bright ideas I wanted to try out. All modelled in Maya from the bottom up based on already made furniture. Textures are a mix of Substances and Poliigon. Simple lighting with skydome in Arnold... I was "raised" to keep light simple and take away light rather than add more.

Harmony.jpg

harmony2_Done.jpg

5. Collapse Details
    Looks really good!
    I've been working on a couple scenes for a while in 3ds Max. I wish I had more time to spend learning this.
    I animated my production van doing some stunts using the default scanline renderer that I am pretty happy with but now want to do a scene on a v-ray road background.

Trying to mix the scanline van and the V-ray road scene isn't working.
    So it looks like I'll have to modify a v-ray version of a grey version of the van to match my real van. Problem is my real van is a different color, trim and has LOTS of decals that took me a long time the first time. Then I have to rig the new V-ray van for driving. And I am totally new to V-ray so I am having to learn everything from the ground up....ugh...Grey Transit Test Render2.jpg

6. Collapse Details
    Wow... modelling cars or vehicles are on my to do list. I just feels like a whole different way of thinking. Do you use projection planes when modelling this? Looks good.

So far Im sticking to locked scenes since my comp is taking long enough as it is with this many samples on camera and diffuse the daybed took around 40 minutes in Arnold. But also added a sample or two to the speculars.

7. Collapse Details
    How did you do the ground?

Regarding the above scene, I didn't model it as it's way beyond my ability and time to learn. A future goal is full vehicle modeling using plane projection. I bought the grey van and using the scanline renderer modified it to make it like my real van. That took a long time. Now I am wanting to animate a scene like above using V-ray. So now it looks like I will have to redo the van with V-ray materials and then re-rig it. So that means learning V-ray plus learning the new slate material editor. It's like a chain-reaction, lol. Oh, and then modify some V-ray people to put inside since my other people are V-ray either...

Over the last few months I've learned more about modeling and animation but I have no natural talent plus am very busy so it's a slow process.
    I don't personally know anyone to ask for help so that means looking online, books and trial and error.

I love 3D because you can set up shots that are otherwise either too expensive, too dangerous or just impossible to do.
    The above shot will utilize my production van stunt driving along with all my quadcopters in a moving aerial shot - nearly impossible to do in real life.

8. Collapse Details
    Hehe sounds like fun shot well yeah, completely agree with you on the ability to compose and do otherwise impossible stuff.

I want to push it as far as challenging still photography which I come from. Often have I thought that some of the shots my former boss did I could replicate in 3d for half the price and if the client then says to move the item 2 inches I say "ok" or change the angle etc.
    Soemthing that wouldnt be possible with stills.

For the ground its just a flat plane with a fair amount of sub divisions and the the height map from a large rock texture. It only just works since you can only map in y space. Which means that the rocks taper out a bit instead of going inwards towards the ground.
    I could have made a few hero rocks but thought it was a bit much. If it works it works ;)

9. Collapse Details
    So next up... made this over the course of the last two days. Think my family disapproves of my tunnel vision when I get caught up in these projects.

I really wanted to try and make rough ice and ended up making a damn cocktail situation. Oh well, its good fun!

I modelled everything from the bottom in Maya. Textured with substances.

Icecubes.jpg

10. Collapse Details
    Wow! Thanks for the info.
    Great job on the newest scene! Looks like you are going to be able to reach your goal of replicating the photography shots in 3D and then being able to adjust them like you want.
    Did you render that in one pass or more than one to get the DOF?
    That really looks nice. I wish I were as good as you.
    Been working in 3ds Max today and it's kicking my tail. Too much to learn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast