Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    In 2017, CFast 2.0 were about $3/GB. Now they could be had for under $1/GB (no idea which work or don't work with CRL).
    That is significant when you look at the cost per gb, I was still comparing to SD Cards which probably arenít even speedy enough.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry1908 View Post
    I still donít see CF cards as being cheap, perhaps Iím looking in the wrong place... if I did solid pod Iíd want dual recording if possible...
    To me, .58 per GB is cheap. There are a few DVXUsers who have used these with the C200 with good results
    https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power...s%2C192&sr=8-3
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    To me, .58 per GB is cheap. There are a few DVXUsers who have used these with the C200 with good results
    https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power...s%2C192&sr=8-3
    Thanks for the link... I think if you look at the purchase of media perhaps as a utility ($1000 for a days footage) itís an easier pill to swallow, Eg Zacuto EVF $1450, Shoulder Rig $1000, RAW media $1000

4. Collapse Details
    I bought my C200 within the last year and was initially going to go the CFast route too. The problem was that while 256GB CFast cards are readily available, 512GB cards that work reliably with the C200 are few and far between. For some reason, the camera is very fussy about that card capacity. SanDisk and ProGrade were supposedly the most stable but in my research even those cards had instances of file corruption so I ultimately went with the SolidPod.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    I bought my C200 within the last year and was initially going to go the CFast route too. The problem was that while 256GB CFast cards are readily available, 512GB cards that work reliably with the C200 are few and far between. For some reason, the camera is very fussy about that card capacity. SanDisk and ProGrade were supposedly the most stable but in my research even those cards had instances of file corruption so I ultimately went with the SolidPod.
    I've used FreeTail EVOKE 512GB CFast cards in my C200 without issue filling them until full several times before I put them in service. They're around $300 for a 512GB card. I have two of them currently in service for when I need longer record times in CRL. Otherwise I use the pile of 256GB cards I have laying around (ProGrade, EVOKE, SiliconPower... all work flawlessly and have been for almost a year). I haven't tried the SiliconPower 512GBs, but I may give it a shot at some point and will report back in this forum like I did with the 256s.

I really don't like cable-connected recording media... and I'm not about to start smearing black RTV silicone on my $7000 camera just so I can get slightly cheaper media.
    JERBCO, LLC
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    Bought half a dozen of the Ego Disk 256GB cards when we started our docuseries two years ago. They've been bulletproof for two years, they continue to be bulletproof.
    I have refused to potentially jinx that reliability with any 512GB cards, I've read the same complaints from users of various 512GB cards.
    Changing cards every 34 minute really isn't that big of a deal when a good portion of your career was with 10 minute film mags!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Bought half a dozen of the Ego Disk 256GB cards when we started our docuseries two years ago. They've been bulletproof for two years, they continue to be bulletproof.
    I did the same thing, and today I had my first 256 EgoDisk card fail. Now I'm feeling nervous about all my other EgoDisk cards and their age. They all hit the 2 year mark in December. So far, they've all been fantastic. But I've always wondered if eventually, I was going to suffer any consequences for buying budget CFast cards. When those cards first showed up, Egodisk wasn't really a known brand. Perhaps the consequences are now showing up in the form of card longevity. I hope that card failure was an anomaly.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by robotfist View Post
    I did the same thing, and today I had my first 256 EgoDisk card fail. Now I'm feeling nervous about all my other EgoDisk cards and their age. They all hit the 2 year mark in December. So far, they've all been fantastic. But I've always wondered if eventually, I was going to suffer any consequences for buying budget CFast cards. When those cards first showed up, Egodisk wasn't really a known brand. Perhaps the consequences are now showing up in the form of card longevity. I hope that card failure was an anomaly.
    A smart thing for both of use would be to begin acquiring other CFast cards, like one per month and eventually rotating the older cards out. I believe the memory used does have a life span and at two years, depending on how much you've used them,
    you may have utilized that life. They are cheap enough now where to buy one every month or two won't break you and you'll have new fresh cards.

9. Collapse Details
    Yep. You should absolutely rotate our cards after a while.

I’ve cycled out all of my older SD cards. My CFAST is still all pretty young, but I’ll start cycling the oldest homes out mid year.

All flash memory has a finite life.
    JERBCO, LLC
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

10. Collapse Details
    Wish we had a memory life meter in the cameras that would alert us. I am using softRAID on my RAIDs and one of the best features is, when you boot a RAID, it will pinpoint if a drive has an increased chance of failing. It gives you time to move media and replace drives BEFORE they fail. Genius.
    Just one more feature that would actually make our lives as shooters better that will probably never happen because we need more resolution and bigger imagers, not to actually have an idea about when our media might fail. Our industry just doesn't get it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast