Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I just recently picked up a used HVX200 on ebay for small money. Zero research: Impulse buy. It’s a mixed bag. It’s so well built, solid and heavy. A beefed up DVX100 form factor. I foolishly presumed it took SD cards for video. As I’m not interested in using tapes, I’m now messing about with the single P2 card (16gb) I’ve since acquired and the recording time is really short, even when shooting 720p! I got just under 18 mins in 720/25p on my 16gb card, which is really limiting and impractical for most jobs. And P2 cards, even used, are still expensive in 2020. Lacks hdmi and/or SDI as well. On the up side, I like the image a lot. A little grainy but in a good way.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    That is cool! I have a DVX100 i have been meaning to put back into action for something. Someone had a near zero hours mint condition one, and nostalgia prevailed. I had a growing collection of classic video cameras. Was going to do a shootout with them, but that idea got shut down here on dvx100 when is started a thread about it. So, i figured probably not worth the time. But i am still interested in seeing these cameras in action. In a way it shows off the skill of the operator.

3. Collapse Details
    Try and find a used Firestore drive. Much more efficient in terms of cost and drive space. Probably dirt cheap these days if you can find one.

4. Collapse Details
    I was also inspired by this thread. Picked up a Canon XH A1 for next to nothing. I found a video on YouTube suggesting that uncompressed video could be recorded via the provided cable and a component to HDMI converter plugged into an Atomos. The converter is in the mail. Can't wait to see if it works and if I can get anything decent out of it. I think it will be a fun experiment either way.

5. Collapse Details
    I have a dirt cheap Firestone available... Let me know.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    I have a dirt cheap Firestone available... Let me know.
    Hi Barry, I might be interested in that. Is it the Focus Enhancements FS100, compatible with a European HVX201? Is it 100 gb storage? I wonder would a simple ac travel adapter US to UK work to charge it over here? Am a proud owner/operator of a AF100 too - your dvd and book on that cam are great, thank you!

7. Collapse Details
    “Try and find a used Firestore drive. Much more efficient in terms of cost and drive space. Probably dirt cheap these days if you can find one.”

Good tip. I’m trying to establish if the firestore fs100 would work with my PAL European HVX201. If it does, it might be a perfect solution.
    Last edited by norvan5; 02-18-2020 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Error

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    That is cool! I have a DVX100 i have been meaning to put back into action for something. Someone had a near zero hours mint condition one, and nostalgia prevailed. I had a growing collection of classic video cameras. Was going to do a shootout with them, but that idea got shut down here on dvx100 when is started a thread about it. So, i figured probably not worth the time. But i am still interested in seeing these cameras in action. In a way it shows off the skill of the operator.
    I didn’t see the thread but the shoot out sounds like a fun idea. It’s peculiar, but nostalgia for old cams is real. My first cam was a Canon XM2 and the tape mechanism gave me nothing but trouble. I sold it and upgraded to a DVX100, which I loved. Sold that to upgrade to a HD cam etc. Yet, if I see an XM2 or DVX on auction sites, I’m half tempted to re-invest. I guess we bond with our cams and miss them. Of course, we’d rarely use them if we did re-invest.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by norvan5 View Post
    I didn’t see the thread but the shoot out sounds like a fun idea. It’s peculiar, but nostalgia for old cams is real. My first cam was a Canon XM2 and the tape mechanism gave me nothing but trouble. I sold it and upgraded to a DVX100, which I loved. Sold that to upgrade to a HD cam etc. Yet, if I see an XM2 or DVX on auction sites, I’m half tempted to re-invest. I guess we bond with our cams and miss them. Of course, we’d rarely use them if we did re-invest.
    I especially enjoy the lower resolution cameras. Creates an impressionism. Like dof, you get to choose how much the viewer sees, but controlling how close you get to the details of the scene.

We spend so much time familiarizing ourselves with a camera, that it becomes intuitive, and the camera just disappears. Was recently shooting on a camera i hadn’t used before, and it was frustrating trying to find the thing that does the thing to do the thing. Just want to capture images, not solve a rubix cube. Although, in my down time, it can be fun learning how to make a camera look good. I think Lenny Levy mentioned how good it can feel to design a good picture profile.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    This was shot during the onslaught of HD, so, i’d imagine HVX or some Sony. Though, i was watching it on DVD.

Bought a bunch of DVD’s the other week to put some movies on so i can pay attention more to composition than detail.

EDIT:

Ok, i looked it up and yeah, all seems to point to the Sony HVR Z1E.

The irony is, i like “Once” 2007, but i hated the Sony HVR Z1. Tim Fleming’s craft and crew, and DVD down res did wonders for that camera. Although, they used the Z1E which had the cine features like psuedo 25p and cine gamma what-not. Which may explain some of the mojo. Only thing i disliked, was some intense chromatic aberration from the stock lens. Mostly a none-issue though.
    I used the Z1U on my documentary and shot some of it in its 24p mode and i found out that if you conform the footage in apple compressor a specific way, you actually get true 24p out of that camera, the pulldown was just mapped differently than the normal standards.. dont ask me how as its been a few years since i went down that technical route lol.
    Cameras
    Panavision Genesis Cinema Camera
    Panasonic AJ-HDC27H Varicam Cinema ENG Camera

LENSES
    Fujinon Xa16 HD B4 Lens
    28mm F2.8 Custom Made Panavision Prime Lens

Recorders
    AJA Kona 3 PCIe 4:4:4 Dual Link Card W/ Breakout Box
    Sony SRW1/SRPC1 HDCAM SR Recorder

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast