Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I kind of miss my HVX
    Cleaning up media lately.

A few very long-ago projects popped up in the review process with freshly transcoded DVCPROHD aplenty... kind of soft, a little underexposed, but so damned rich, natural, and ready to go, straight out of the cam. All this came from a package that was easy to handhold with that nice, zippy zoom when you needed to smash in or out.

Yeah, I didn't get to mess with shallow DOF unless at full tele, never futzed with changing a lens unless it was the ultrawide adapter, had to offload media more often than wives change minds, but... in some ways, some of that work was... free. A bit riskier. More creative, maybe, BECAUSE of the limited toolset.

Don't sit and remind me of the bad things, because they're already brewing up in my memory.... just a moment to remember the good times.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

2. Collapse Details
    I dont know the camera but have been involved in the 'fs7 is a beast' thread - exponing how Ive gone back to using my ex1 on some shoots.

Camcoders of that era seem to have a certain something..what is it..?

Semi tactile manual lens (compared to yuk fly by wire)
    3 chips not over stuffed with pixels?

3. Collapse Details
    I still like those panasonic CCD camera skin tones straight out of camera. And that global shutter.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    If my HPX170 had been a bit sharper at 1080Pn, I'd still be using it, but the world passed it by for pro work. A few years ago I traded up to the PX270 which is in most every way the same style, but has very sharp IQ by comparison and has more features than you could ever use. The 270 has MOS sensors instead of CCD which is possibly the largest difference. Out of the box, it is less organic and a bit clinical. But after some tweaking of the scene files, it really is about everything you could hope for in a HandyCam. Not only is it significantly sharper that the HVX and HPX cams, it also has a very decent EVF and flip-out lcd. Although I use an external monitor at times, I never feel like I really need one to achieve focus which was always a major gripe on my previous handycams.

G

5. Collapse Details
    I think many of us love & miss some of the cameras we used back in the day...it's a combination of catalysts that lead to that happier association.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I think many of us love & miss some of the cameras we used back in the day...it's a combination of catalysts that lead to that happier association.
    Can't say I really miss any of my DV/HDV cameras..... tape and interlace can burn in hell
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

7. Collapse Details
    ha, I hear you...some people never had the opportunity to shoot on tape cameras so it's all relative.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbob View Post
    Can't say I really miss any of my DV/HDV cameras..... tape and interlace can burn in hell
    haha, I dont miss drop frames (or half seconds in HDV) too

9. Collapse Details
    I revisited an HVX200 early this year briefly and it brought me right back to 2006 when DV tapes were still king, tapeless was just slowly beginning to make its way into the market and cameras like the HVX and Sony Z1 were disrupting the DV filmmaking SD game. I will always have a love and appreciation for the 3 CCD SD and HD line of cameras. Hell, im still using one (Sony F900/3). CCD cameras have always to me produced a better image overall with cameras like the F900 and Varicam H having almost alexa like skin tone.. lets not forget the loved F35.. that camera to me still is the most cinematic digital camera alive. There are negatives in any form of tech no there is no reason to complain about the ones we all saw with DV tapes and so on. I really think the companies made a poor move with CMOS.. i understand the reason to a degree but I will never in my mind believe a CMOS image is as good or as natural looking as a CCD image. I know im probably in a minority group with that mindset but so be it. The HVX200 IS a beautiful camera, capable of beautiful images in the right hands.
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2008 W/ AJA Kona 3 Dual-Link 4:4:4 Capture Card
    Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch 2007
    Final Cut Studio 3

10. Collapse Details
    The one thing I miss about tape is the instant archive there is to it. Whether it was VHS, Video8/Hi8 or DV/HDV, most of my older tapes are still playable today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast