1. Collapse Details
    Best transcoding software?
    So i like H265 on my Phantom 4 Pro because it handles compression much better, especially in ocean and stuff.

But Resolve 14 does not take H265 at all, so proxies are really wasted time. Ideally i would like to transcode into DNxHQ UHD or even 4K.

What programs are people using for these tasks these days?

Edit: Just put everything into Adobe Media Encoder and it seems it does the job. Will let it transcode for a few hours. Is this an accepted way of transcoding with adequate quality on end-files?
    Last edited by Martin.G; 08-08-2018 at 05:10 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Cruncher (if you are on Windows).

3. Collapse Details
    Media Encoder should be GPU accelerated so it should be reasonably fast. SInce I don't own it at home, I bought (cheap) V6 Convert from HD Cinematics which is an ffmpeg derived tool (you need to copy the ffmpeg parts yourself). It works well and looks good getting into DNxHD (don't have UHD stuff to try) and pretty fast at about 2 -3 times faster frames per second than play speed on my computer. Been doing conversions from 1080/23.97p h.264 and ac3 into DNxHD, edit with Media Composer | First, then export back to DNxHD because the export features of Media Composer just plain suck (!), then back to Convert to get an h.264 mp4 for upload. Lot of extra work that shouldn't need to be done and most of it because of the ac3 source audio.

Need to see if I can get GPU acceleration working which might speed things up a bit on the h.264 encode side.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin.G View Post
    But Resolve 14 does not take H265 at all....
    DaVinci Resolve Studio can read H.265 just fine (although I would not recommend using long GOP encodings for editing).