Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    You could do that too...of course it's more to teach though (which is good!).

If you buy any of the preamps and/or recorders, all of them (or most) have headphone jacks so you might be okay with the 70D if you don't care about DPAF.

I'm thinking the 'news show' would probably be mostly static anyway, so maybe you wouldn't use DPAF that much now that I think about. The regular push-AF from the 70D could be enough.

The video quality difference isn't too drastic. It's all still dated 1080p, unfortunately...but nice Canon colors!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Feeley View Post
    Depending on the type of school, perhaps Canon can help out, or at least coordinate education pricing through a dealer or something.
    https://www.canon.com.au/business/education-solutions
    Thanks...just on hold with them now..will be interested to hear what 'Canon Education' even offers!!

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    You could do that too...of course it's more to teach though (which is good!).

If you buy any of the preamps and/or recorders, all of them (or most) have headphone jacks so you might be okay with the 70D if you don't care about DPAF.

I'm thinking the 'news show' would probably be mostly static anyway, so maybe you wouldn't use DPAF that much now that I think about. The regular push-AF from the 70D could be enough.

The video quality difference isn't too drastic. It's all still dated 1080p, unfortunately...but nice Canon colors!
    Thanks...came across this Beaktek product too...

https://beachtek.com/product/dxa-slr-ultra/

Starting to get more expensive though...

hadn't actually heard of that Canon DPAF....sounds like quite an improvement...

might have to go back to Canon someday myself after my Samsung NX1 excursion...which is still a great cam even though they killed it...

EDIT:

The Tascam 60D is actually $50 cheaper here compared to what I've seen the Beachteks for... ....anyone used this thing as a pre amp instead of the Beachtek products?

https://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p/...dr-60dmk2.html
    Last edited by Mavoz; 08-06-2018 at 09:47 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    With many of these preamps, the main hardware - from one model to the next in the same line - may not change much. They all may sound the same until they get much more expensive and/or newer technology is implemented.

But many times you just end up paying for more features from one to the next such as gain (or more gain), XLRs (or more XLRs), VU meters, limiters, knobs, switches, etc.

It all really depends on your budget and goals. If you wanted to you could get decent audio from a $20 passive adapter if you used a very sensitive microphone since you're speaking straight into it anyway.

But with those dynamic microphones, you'll definitely need some juice if you want the best audio. (Or of course just use a recorder and do the dual-system sound for the best option in this case.)

DPAF is few years old and it's getting better and better...amazing on the 5D Mark IV and 1DX Mark II.

https://vimeo.com/153889003
    Last edited by NorBro; 08-06-2018 at 10:25 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    I'm thinking the 80D may well be the best camera option then...
    This is a great camera to consider. You’ll never get absolutely pristine in-camera audio from a DSLR, but this one is definitely not the worst I’ve heard and in some cases can be perfectly useful. I keep a RØDE VideoMic Pro on mine most of the time and get nats tracks that are helpful for news- and docu-style production.

As a matter of interest...are there any options out there that would provide the option of working as both a preamp like this...but also have a 'record to SD' feature...that we could use as an external audio recorder as well?

Looks like the Tascam DR-60D could be an option too....
    The DR-60DmkII is not a bad recorder. Be aware, though, that it and other recorders like it are rather clumsy when mounted under the camera. It just makes the whole contraption a bit unwieldy. I’ve shot small, no-budget projects on that exact combination (80D with DR-60DmkII) and, when I do, I have the recorder either strapped to me with a harness or hanging on the tripod next to the camera. It has a dedicated 3.5mm output designed specifically to feed DSLRs and camcorders, and a 6’ cable feeds the recorder into the camera with a little room to flex and bend.

This also allows the camera’s input gain to be pulled back a bit to help minimize any noise added in-cam. I think you’ll find this setup more than adequate for your needs.
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex H. View Post
    This is a great camera to consider. You’ll never get absolutely pristine in-camera audio from a DSLR, but this one is definitely not the worst I’ve heard and in some cases can be perfectly useful. I keep a RØDE VideoMic Pro on mine most of the time and get nats tracks that are helpful for news- and docu-style production.

The DR-60DmkII is not a bad recorder. Be aware, though, that it and other recorders like it are rather clumsy when mounted under the camera. It just makes the whole contraption a bit unwieldy. I
    Thanks for those tips Alex....watched a bunch of videos last night on these field recorders...some great options out there since I bought my Zoom H4N...

Anyway I think I will budget on the 80D as our cam of choice.....then supplement it with a bunch of lenses.

Then will get a couple of recorders...thinking now about the Tascam 70D..as the form factor looks a bit more friendly to be bolted under the cam than the box like shape of the 60...

We then may be able to also get away with the internal mic input with a Rode mic too...

would love to get up to 12 cameras so there was enough for pairs in a class of 25...but will depend on budget...

Thanks!

7. Collapse Details
    Maybe have a look at the much maligned Canon M50. With an EF adapter. Still save yourself a few hundred dollars per unit over an 80D for the same IQ. You would need a headphone output workaround (like above, off a mic, or maybe with a HDMI to VGA audio adapter, around $20 if this works, maybe someone could chip in). You do get 4K, sort of.

8. Collapse Details
    Get yourself a bunch of secondhand Sony PMW-F3 or Sony FS700 (or heck, even a FS100! Some of them are going for practically free). Easily a better quality buy than a Canon C100.

Then get a few Nikon mount lenses, which you can pair with the likes of Nikon D7100/D5200/D5300/D5500/D7200/D500/D7000 cameras. (these are all stills cameras which again are a better buy for stills or video than the equivalent Canon Rebel / 60D / 7D / etc from Canon).
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

9. Collapse Details
    As a matter of interest...are there any options out there that would provide the option of working as both a preamp like this...but also have a 'record to SD' feature...that we could use as an external audio recorder as well?

(We sometimes need kids recording audio for Voice over etc....so having that ability would be a great option..)

Looks like the Tascam DR-60D could be an option too....

Thanks.
    http://ironfilm.co.nz/which-sound-re...rders-in-2017/

Tascam DR60Dmk2 is the best buy at its price point. But if you can afford the small extra cost for a Zoom F4 or F8n (or secondhand F8) then it is very very worthwhile, as these new F series recorders are a revolution in indie sound recording, bringing specs/features that cost many times more not long ago down to very affordable levels for everyone.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    http://ironfilm.co.nz/which-sound-re...rders-in-2017/

Tascam DR60Dmk2 is the best buy at its price point. But if you can afford the small extra cost for a Zoom F4 or F8n (or secondhand F8) then it is very very worthwhile, as these new F series recorders are a revolution in indie sound recording, bringing specs/features that cost many times more not long ago down to very affordable levels for everyone.
    Thanks...I was interested in that Zoom F4 myself (no doubt overkill for our students though!)....the number of batteries required concerned me a bit though! I guess using a USB pack helps with this...

I quite liked the form factor of the Tascam 70D....but might be worth spending more on this as long term great option...

Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast