1. Collapse Details
    Hanging from Tree Effect
    For a scene where someone is hanging from a tall tree, what is the best and SAFEST way to do this?

2. Collapse Details
    Hire a stunt coordinator is the best and safest.

If you want a safe DIY approach, I've done this with a rigger's harness and climbing rope (static is better than dynamic since dynamic rope stretches). We made the noose out of a three foot piece of rope that was not attached to the support rope that held the actor's weight. The support rope attaches between the shoulder blades. I tried the rig myself, it was very safe, but also pretty uncomfortable. The body also hung as a strange angle due to the attachment between the shoulders.

You could also use a dummy and shoot it in silhouette

Independent Filmmaker
    BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid Media Composer/NukeX/Blender/Mixcraft/ProTools/Resolve Studio

Feature Films
    Wulf - 2008 | Leap - 2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast - 2011 | Surviving The Wild - 2020

3. Collapse Details
    Good grief. Just green screen and mask.

4. Collapse Details
    Seconded. Sometimes we have to say “it would be really awesome if I had the budget/resources to do this, but I don’t so I will do THIS instead” (rewrite, or find different clever way to show the original idea that doesn’t endanger anyone).

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by El Director View Post
    Hire a stunt coordinator is the best and safest.

If you want a safe DIY approach, I've done this with a rigger's harness and climbing rope (static is better than dynamic since dynamic rope stretches). We made the noose out of a three foot piece of rope that was not attached to the support rope that held the actor's weight. The support rope attaches between the shoulder blades. I tried the rig myself, it was very safe, but also pretty uncomfortable. The body also hung as a strange angle due to the attachment between the shoulders.

You could also use a dummy and shoot it in silhouette
    If you go the rigger's harness route (also known as a fall arrest harness) don't leave the actor hanging too long.
    https://ohsonline.com/Articles/2017/...on-Trauma.aspx

6. Collapse Details
    I've seen this done with a body vest worn under the clothes. It was a spandex outfit of shorts & vest that was all one piece and zipped up the chest. At the back of the neck there was an attachment point for the "ral" line that was actually supporting the weight of the actor, positioned so that the dress rope noose covered it well. The outfit appeared to have lots of reinforcement and ribbing to distribute the weight well and the actor said it was comfortable enough. I have no idea where to get this.

Think about your shots. If they're close enough to clearly see the noose and the actor's neck, the shot likely will not show the actor's feet and they can stand on a platform. If the shot is wide enough to see the whole body then it's also likely so wide that plenty of safety support could be put into the rope and attachment to the actor that there's no danger.

When in doubt, go for safety. Shoot this the safest way possible and/or hire a professional rigger to assist you.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

7. Collapse Details
    You said tall tree, so for the establishing shot in the tree, a dummy...if you do not have the resources for a stunt coordinator and rigger, I would not even send someone up there to rig the dummy....all can be achieved with a line fished over a branch that can be sufficiently small as to be hidden by the noose....whoever does your art dept could handle this....of course if you have the budget you could use a cherry picker for this...as previously suggested, shooting this in silhouette is a great idea....the close ups and medium shots if any can then be handled at a safe height for the actor....either on a chair or harnessed as per Mitch's suggestion, for brief periods...with clever camera work you can get as good a result as a large budget production without endangering either talent or crew for that matter.

8. Collapse Details
    I would also recommend a breakaway noose so if anything does go wrong you have no chance of the actor getting caught in the noose. Always assume something will go wrong, it will often enough.

I would argue for an establishing shot with a dummy and close ups that don't have the actor suspended. Depending on the story you may not even need the establishing shot.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

“It ain’t ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, it’s the things that people know that ain’t so”

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio