Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Color temp shift...?
    This one is driving me nuts as I've had my 700 for a long time and only recently have I been experiencing this issue. I shoot a great deal of outdoor doc footage and I've noticed as I'm moving around and shooting a scene I will see a color temp shift. Meaning, I can be shooting a subject in shadow and pan to another subject in the sun and i'll see the color temp shift during the pan...and I mean noticeably to the point when I put the footage up on a scope I can watch the phase shift.

I ALWAYS shoot manual, I always shoot in Slog, and I leave my white balance in preset and manually set that as well. I'm recording to a 7q and I do a dual record internally and the issue is on both.

I've never noticed this before, and its hard not to, so this is a recent issue. I thought maybe something got changed in my settings and I've scoured the menus looking for some "auto' setting that may be overriding my pre set color temp but I can't find anything.

So I'm not sure if it's operator error or my camera is acting funky...anyone ever come across this or have any ideas what could be causing it I'm all ears.

2. Collapse Details
    I am not sure what the problem is, shadows have a different color temperature than a subject in the Sun.

Do you have footage to share to demonstrate what you see?

3. Collapse Details
    Yea...you might be just seeing a difference between 6000 and 5600...or 5600 and 5000, etc.

The same color temperature (even outdoors) won't work for everything. It may change from the shadows and the sun and the clouds and the surrounding colors...hour by hour.

If you wanted to be meticulous, you'd manually white balance every single time and you'd most likely see a difference in your color temperature as you/the camera moves around.

4. Collapse Details
    Yes...realize that the color temp will change from shadows to sun, but not like this. I have an Fs7 as well and I'm shooting the same type of stuff and I don't see the shift like I'm seeing in the 700.

5. Collapse Details
    Well, it's probably one or more of three things...

(1) User error (some auto setting is enabled/disabled between the cameras).
    (2) Mental (your eyes are playing tricks on you and/or you're getting better at what you're doing and realizing this shift in the older camera).
    (3) The camera is breaking down.

If you (a person in general) ever use more cameras, you'll see/learn how they may drastically differ in how they handle white balance and lighting.

Nothing else to consider I assume?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    pair cool.jpgpair warm.jpg

Same clip, stills are taken about 2 sec apart in the clip, daylight did not change, color temp in camera did.

7. Collapse Details
    Cat tails cool.jpgCat tails warm.jpg

Same situation, these two grabs are from the same clip and about 5 seconds apart...exterior light did not change in any way shape or form...but again, my color temp did.

8. Collapse Details
    This is from the FS7 and FS700? If so...they are two different sensors that process the image differently. They will never 100% match without diving in deeper and doing some work (in camera and/or post).

---

If they are both the FS700, are both recording externally?

---

If the same camera is producing these results and you're just showing clips a few seconds apart...it's definitely an auto setting or a malfunction.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdyearff View Post
    Cat tails cool.jpgCat tails warm.jpg

Same situation, these two grabs are from the same clip and about 5 seconds apart...exterior light did not change in any way shape or form...but again, my color temp did.
    Are you absolutely sure the camera is not on auto white balance? Sometimes it can ride the auto white-balance in ways that are a bit buggy, similarly to how auto-focus can sometimes ride the auto focus in buggy ways. Sometimes just those leaves moving and getting darker and if shadows are cooler the auto white-balance will want to warm up the image in response.

But if you are absolutely sure it's not on auto, then I'd say it's probably faulty equipment.

10. Collapse Details
    I just saw your notes below the pics.

So it's the same camera a few seconds apart, right?

If so, it has to be either an auto setting or the camera is breaking down.

You tried recording internally and externally, right? Same result?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast