Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Should I upgrade from the FS700 to the FS5?
    I have been considering a camera update for awhile now. While the FS700 is a great, amazing camera, there's always been one major issue that I'm sure all of you can agree on - It's heavy and unwieldy. Often times I struggle to shoot in confined spaces, and many times wind up pulling out my A7RII to get shots that are just easier to hand held shoot.

I have been looking at cameras, and am liking everything I see about he FS5. It seems like it ticks pretty much every single need I'm looking for that the FS700 provides... However, one major thing is holding me back - It feels like I'm just paying to upgrade the body to a better form factor, and really nothing else. If I'm not mistaken, they both are using the (almost) exact same sensor, and have almost the exact shooting modes. I will admit, the small form factor, and variable ND looks amazing, but it's hard to not just say "suck it up and lift more weights."

Any thoughts? Has anybody here made that jump? If so, what do you think?

2. Collapse Details
    My personal advice to you is that I have been there SO many times as far as wanting to upgrade...and I did...and sometimes it was worth it...and most of the time it wasn't.

For your particular situation, I would say it wouldn't be worth it. Too much money for too little gain, IMO.

Each year, new cameras are released and there will without a shadow-of-a-doubt be an FS5III or FS7III (or something from Sony) with internal RAW and better specs/features.

If we were talking $1K or so for some box that would transform your camera into a completely different system (which of course is the case with the FS700) then absolutely...but to drop another $4200+ pretty much for only the weight loss (how much do you shoot outside v. inside?) is just not worth it to me.

3. Collapse Details
    If you're a run-n-gun shooter or a one-man band, the FS5 is a great camera. The variable ND alone is worth it. It's a fast operator.

If you spend a lot of time setting up a narrative shot (and fixating on spec sheets), not so much.

I personally love the flexibility of the aforementioned variable ND, plus the great handling and crisp picture (along with S-log dynamic range). The great thing about the camera is if you NEED more (4k, 10-bit, high frame rates, RAW shooting), it can do it.
    Sony FS5, A7RII, Fuji XT-3, MacBook Pro

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonanthony1 View Post
    I will admit, the small form factor, and variable ND looks amazing, but it's hard to not just say "suck it up and lift more weights."
    Yes exactly. Suck it up and lift weights. Fs700 is not big not even with 7q. Only big if you want dslr.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by SJX View Post
    Yes exactly. Suck it up and lift weights. Fs700 is not big not even with 7q. Only big if you want dslr.
    Kinda. The weight isnt terrible, but what really is a pain is how unweildy the setup is. It is a pain to properly balance and often times its impossible to shoot handheld without shouldering it. Having the ability to shoot handheld on the FS5 would be huge for me.

6. Collapse Details
    what about easyrig?

7. Collapse Details
    I'm in the same boat. Was super excited about the FS5II... until it was released and it just had a new colour on of the ND knob. It's still a great camera... if you're not coming from the FS700... And paying for that same old sensor today feels a waste of money.
    My plan is to hold out for the A7SIII, and then try to make do with that until the FS5III comes out with a red ND knob which is what it should have had in the first place!

The FS700 gets really unwieldy with a 7Q attached to it... And because of it's output latency it becomes rather useless with a different viewfinder so you have to be able to see the built in monitor...
    Sony NEX-FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8GM, SEL 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4, FE 28-70 | Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Mojave
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Mojave

8. Collapse Details
    If you're shooting FS700 internal you will notice a big difference when you get an FS5ii as you're getting 10 bit 422 HD upto 100FPS. That 10 bit 422 gives you flexibility in the grade and means the image won't fall apart so easily. Also the colours on the FS5 are better. Your reds will look a lot more red than they do on the FS700. If you're shooting FS700 with an external recorder then it's probably not worth the upgrade. If you don't want to drop major money then what about a GH5 or GH5S? Super light weight, 10 bit 422 4k and a fraction of the price of an FS5ii. I have an FS700 and Odyssey 7Q and the weight is just a pain after shooting with it now for over 6 years. I've just put my money down on a Kinefinity Mavo over a RED because of how light weight that camera is. I come home to a 2 year old that loves to jump about and climb on me so if I can get something light weight that will save my arms and back at work that is a BIG deal for me.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Your situation is pretty much the exact same as mine, boosh. I love the combo, but after a couple of years, I'm pretty sick of lugging a beast around all day. I have considered contenders such as the GH5s, but I really would miss having internal ND. I think having the capability to shoot internal 4k, even if it is mediocre, would be a huge plus for me. Additionally, having that 10bit 1080 footage... That sounds nice. I think I'm going to sell the FS700 and go after a used FS5. Should only be about a $1.5k difference.

10. Collapse Details
    Honestly I think F35, F65 and Alexa guys only hear buaaaaah, buaaaaah, buaaaaah, buaaaaah when you guys complain FS700 is heavy. FS700 is handycam!

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast