1. Collapse Details
    Johanh Hills Directorial Debut 4x3 16mm
    So Jonah Hill wrote and directed his love letter to mid 90's skateboarding. Naturally it was shot on 16mm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Rx6-GaSIE

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    The amazing 90s...best years ever.

Right before **** started to get too complicated.

3. Collapse Details
    wow exited for this one

4. Collapse Details
    Looks fantastic can't wait.

5. Collapse Details
    The 90s were the best. Lived all 10 years of it thank god! I wasn't a skater but all my friends were.. i was the nerd with a PD150 filming them :b.
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch 2007
    Final Cut Studio 3

6. Collapse Details
    I love the look and feel of what he captured. 16mm was a great choice!

7. Collapse Details
    The 90s were excruciating for me. The best were the 80s, what are you talking about? Oh, well, I was born in the 70s. So I guess you 90s-lovers were born in the 80s

8. Collapse Details
    Interestingly, Hill said the choice of 16mm 4x3 was so that if he chose to intercut the SD video one of the characters shoots during the course of the movie then it would not be too jarring. There was still an obvious difference but it was less distracting by shooting the main material in this fashion. In the end he chose not to intercut the video footage but stated that he was happy with the 16mm 4x3 format as a nod to the times.

Oddly enough, the 90s were clearly the heyday of Super-16 1.78 aspect production, especially in the American indy cinema realm. I myself owned an aton S-16 kit during the 90s and shot hundreds of thousands of feet of film with it, rarely ever shooting 4:3.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    The 90s were excruciating for me. The best were the 80s, what are you talking about? Oh, well, I was born in the 70s. So I guess you 90s-lovers were born in the 80s
    70s - 80s - 90's were great...The Aughts is when everything started sucking.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    Interestingly, Hill said the choice of 16mm 4x3 was so that if he chose to intercut the SD video one of the characters shoots during the course of the movie then it would not be too jarring. There was still an obvious difference but it was less distracting by shooting the main material in this fashion. In the end he chose not to intercut the video footage but stated that he was happy with the 16mm 4x3 format as a nod to the times.

Oddly enough, the 90s were clearly the heyday of Super-16 1.78 aspect production, especially in the American indy cinema realm. I myself owned an aton S-16 kit during the 90s and shot hundreds of thousands of feet of film with it, rarely ever shooting 4:3.
    Within skateboarding, everything was DV 4:3 mixed with Regular 16mm. The late 90s - early 2000s were a golden time for that mix of formats and people still prefer it today.

They actually shot Super 16mm with guides and cropped. This would be the obvious choice to also give yourself a little flex in post.

I wonder what type of post processing they did to the Hi8, if any. It is crazy that you can play off Hi8 in a movie theatre but people demand 8k for their wedding films...