Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Also how to make it look like film?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    For $3K (maybe $6K in todayís $$$), you got a full solution camcorder with video that was beyond what TVís could really even display.

Fast forward to today.... ugh.... what is camera?

Iíd like something with ergonomics for video...

Um, sure, but i donít need that yet. Maybe an extra stop in the highlights, instead?

Well, it is nice, but what would be nicer is internal ND filters

4K!

Ok, sure, yes. Thank you. That is very cool. But i am noticing that this is actually just super sampled HD. Do you have anything that is actually...

4K!!!!!!ín

Oh, oh my. Nevermind. Hmm, maybe there is a bitrate that works well, something between 17mb and 500mb ?

4K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got it. Hmm, well, could we at least have some 4K screens?

8K.
    Amen dude. The resolution chase is insane.
    Cameras
    Panasonic AJ-HDC27H Varicam Cinema ENG Camera
    Sony HDW-F900R Cinealta Cinema ENG Camera

LENSES
    CANON HJ21x7.5 T2.1 HD-EC CINE ZOOM LENS (Keslow Modified)
    Canon YJ19x9B4 KRS (SD)
    Zeiss Digizoom 6-24mm T1.9 Cinema Lens

Recorders
    AJA Kona 3 PCIe 4:4:4 Dual Link Card W/ Breakout Box
    Panasonic AJ-HD1400 DVCPRO HD VTR

Accessories
    Astro DM-3000 HD-SDI Monitor
    Astro DM-3005 HD-SDI Monitor
    Benro Fluid Head Tripod
    Chrosziel MB 450-01 Matte Box

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexderec View Post
    Also how to make it look like film?
    I dont really know what you are asking. Are you asking how to make the DVX look like film? If so, simple ground rules is shoot 24PA at 1/48th shutter speed. the cine matrix and either cine_d or cine_v are best gamma wise, unless you are on the first DVX100 then you are limited to just CineLike, which to me looked the best out of the three iterations of that camera model. The cool thing about DV is (IMHO) the image always looked the best if you got your near final image in the camera as the sensor was so damn small and the codec is very weak when it comes to even grades we do now on low end HD codecs, so, it is best to bake in as close as you can to your final look. I rarely ever treated my DV images back in the day and would do all that work in camera. You're not going to get insane amounts of Dynamic Range in Mini DV if you try to lift up the master ped and do a bunch of wonky crap so, use the stops available in the camera and accept the limitations of DV. I wouldnt say they are limitations per say, as I still enjoy the look of "filmic DV" but that's just me.

Man now I really want a DVX again... damn....
    Cameras
    Panasonic AJ-HDC27H Varicam Cinema ENG Camera
    Sony HDW-F900R Cinealta Cinema ENG Camera

LENSES
    CANON HJ21x7.5 T2.1 HD-EC CINE ZOOM LENS (Keslow Modified)
    Canon YJ19x9B4 KRS (SD)
    Zeiss Digizoom 6-24mm T1.9 Cinema Lens

Recorders
    AJA Kona 3 PCIe 4:4:4 Dual Link Card W/ Breakout Box
    Panasonic AJ-HD1400 DVCPRO HD VTR

Accessories
    Astro DM-3000 HD-SDI Monitor
    Astro DM-3005 HD-SDI Monitor
    Benro Fluid Head Tripod
    Chrosziel MB 450-01 Matte Box

4. Collapse Details
    wow, great little movie !
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowProd View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRTm868gAPU&t=931s is my DVX short film from back in the day. I have a GH5 now, but I just bought a used DVX100B with 90 hours on it. It is mint. Don't ask me why I bought it - I was just feeling a bit nostalgic.
    Hello Everyone,

I am a new member seeking advise my name is flash, I have an old DVX102B, ShadowProd, I was fascinated to see your short movie shot with the DVX100. I would love to be able to do something like that too. Until I saw your video I was thinking of passing the DVX102B on as I was somewhat disappointed with the output. I had wondered how this camera could have won any film festival awards ? Thinking the judges must have all had to stand around the camera's monitor the see the film clearly

I wonder if you would have time to advise me on a few steps.
    This camera now is a great find in my book, after seeing your film, I want to get the best footage out of it by setting it up correctly.
    I bought it from a guy who won some film festival awards years ago so it is still set up to shoot with his slant on the style he wanted I think. He did tell to leave to the camera set to 24p !
    I am happy to leave his setup for the time being.

However I shoot a little clips with a classic car club that I am a member of, but use a iPhone on a gimbal, so I am spoilt by that convenience !

I have Filmora9, Adobe Premier & Final Cut Pro, however I can't as yet get my head around FCP.
    The DVX102B can't be seen by Filmora so I have to import it into AP first then export it and the place it in Filmora, this app for my old mind, is quite simple for what I am trying to do !

I notice from your short film much of it was relatively shot close up with the people faces filling the frame & nice and clear etc.
    I remember when I used to shoot weddings on a Panasonic M5 SVHS Camera the closer you were the better the images were.

When I watched your movie I viewed it on my 27" iMac and it was great, I may have be watching Netflix.

Could possibly run thru the procedure & maybe the setting used to export the DVX102B image so it's footage can be show the same as your movie please.

My footage outputs only small on my big monitor & it looks terrible at full screen ? Any advise would help thank you !

regards flash

5. Collapse Details
    shadowProd, can you please tell me how you got such a great the show of full screen in such detail !

I know you said somewhere to look up Tech Response, but where is that ??

please ??

6. Collapse Details
    Hi Flash,

This was my tech response:

Thanks, Filmcan for the kind words. We basically shot in squeeze mode F6 23.976 on the DVX (24PA) and Cinelike D. In post in Adobe Premiere I used a 23.976 timeline and did minimal color tweaks (added contrast). The piece you just saw on Youtube was put through Filmconvert standard film style. I also dropped the saturation in Filmconvert to -85, and dropped the flimstyle grain to 7 (down from 100) In Premiere I upped the sharpness +7, bumped the RGB blue to 107 from 100, increased contrast a few points and that's about it. when I went to output I chose (from Premiere) Vimeo HD 23.976 720P. I don't think it uprezzed it as much as it preserved the quality from my original DV files, but I could be wrong. If you're going to output to DVD don't add sharpness. Hope that helps!

Filmconvert is a grading program that is great, but you don't have to use it to get the clear, nice resolution out of the DVX. You just need to shoot in Cinelike D, squeeze mode, and F6 on the mode dial which is 24PA - this is basically the best quality you can get out of the camera per the manual. I would import into Adobe Premiere and edit in that. You have to remember that I did that film in 2006 so it's a bit hard to remember - I hope this helps.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks shadowProd,

I will give it ago following your tips, I really love the camera and the ease of which it handles !
    Stay safe & have a great locked down Easter !

Cheers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123