Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39
  1. Collapse Details
    #11
    Senior Member jamedia.uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    577
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Are mirrorless any good though?

    When the rubber hits the road af is reliable on a Dslr

    The ground glass is not a strain on the eye.

    An EVF can be much darker than the ambient light level - or too bright - GG just reacts to the ambient light levels and on a full day or week of shooting that is a significant boost to avoiding fatigue.

    Mirrorless cameras are the same as DSLR's just without the mirror and prism.
    The electronics and the lenses are the same.
    Fewer moving parts and less wear.
    Lighter to less fatigue using & carrying them.

    Quite a few Pro photographers have swapped from DSLR to mirrorless. One of my acquaintance who uses a motorbike said it has halved the weight and space he needs to carry his kit on the road.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    9,499
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by jagraphics View Post
    Mirrorless cameras are the same as DSLR's just without the mirror and prism.
    The electronics and the lenses are the same.
    Fewer moving parts and less wear.
    Lighter to less fatigue using & carrying them.

    Quite a few Pro photographers have swapped from DSLR to mirrorless. One of my acquaintance who uses a motorbike said it has halved the weight and space he needs to carry his kit on the road.
    Well they are not the same because you don't view the image through an open iris and ground glass - meaning your eye is constantly battered by a refreshing screen at potentially inappropriate brightness level.

    Does it make a difference?
    If you are photographing your kids birthday. No.
    If you are on the sidelines of Wimbledon for a month. Yes.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #13
    Senior Member jamedia.uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    577
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Well they are not the same because you don't view the image through an open iris and ground glass - meaning your eye is constantly battered by a refreshing screen at potentially inappropriate brightness level.

    Does it make a difference?
    If you are photographing your kids birthday. No.
    If you are on the sidelines of Wimbledon for a month. Yes.
    So why to ALL video cameras not use an optical viewfinder? it is easy enough to split the path.
    I think your argument is spurious or all the TV/News Video camera people (including those at Wimbledon) would have complained a long time ago.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    9,499
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by jagraphics View Post
    So why to ALL video cameras not use an optical viewfinder?
    Video cameras dont I guess use an optical finder because..
    -cost
    -stopped down during turn over

    Arri and the like did/do have some optical options as maybe the F65 did/does.

    https://www.rogerdeakins.com/camera/...der-open-gate/

    so the top end people want/have it

    Quote Originally Posted by jagraphics View Post
    TV/News Video camera people (including those at Wimbledon) would have complained a long time ago.
    Have you ever met a TV cameraman who didnt complain? Again at wimbledon and other events where pro level cameras are used they use ultrabiright montitors and big hoods that cost more than an FS7 or any mirrorless camera.

    https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-tv...-30310002.html


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #15
    Senior Member jamedia.uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    577
    Default
    Very informative. However the OP may not be wanting to get into that sort of stills shooting.

    There is a LOT of pro video and photography that does not require 8 hours a day for 2 weeks with the eye glued to the viewfinder.


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    9,499
    Default
    Yep - back in normal world - I just think gg is nicer - never any strobing - my gh4 is horrid - but then I will admit to membership of the older school


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #17
    Resident Preditor mcgeedigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Potomac Falls, VA
    Posts
    7,886
    Default
    None of my mirrorless systems EVFs refresh rates bother me when shooting.

    it is a non-issue.
    Matt Gottshalk - Director/ Dp/ and Emmy Award Winning Editor
    Producer, Digital Creative for the United States Postal Service


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #18
    Senior Member jamedia.uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Birmingham UK
    Posts
    577
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgeedigital View Post
    None of my mirrorless systems EVFs refresh rates bother me when shooting.

    it is a non-issue.

    I tend to agree but thinking about it I can see it might be a problem if you have your eye up to the EFV for long periods of time.
    The only time I have done that for many minutes at a time is on image intensifiers compared to pure optics but it wasn't on a camera.
    Then you can notice a bit.

    However for stills shooting (outside the 2 weeks of Wimbledon) I can't see it being a problem.

    OTOH the savings in weight, space and the lowering of fatigue when carrying/using the kit would out weigh any disadvantage of the EFV. Unless you are one of a VERY small number of Photographers covering Wimbledon.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #19
    Senior Member Bern Caughey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    4,215
    Default
    I want my stills cameras to have EVFs.

    Autofocus is great for some tasks, but peaking is a powerful tool when manually focusing. While dim, Ground Glass was pretty good for manual focus, but few, if any, Digital Cameras offer this tech anymore.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
     

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •