Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    I would never edit from an internal drive where the operating system is installed -- regardless of whether it was an SSD, HDD, or whatever. The internal drive on a laptop is for operating system and apps only. A desktop computer might have multiple internal drives, but the drive with the OS shouldn't be used for media. Media files always need to stored on secondary drives without exception.

2. Collapse Details
    If the money is available, get something with Thunderbolt 3 ports, these do double duty as USB3.1 C ports as well.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I bought years ago Asus Rog laptop..and still using with no problem..go fot gamer laptop; they have efficient resolved heating problems..it have good graphic card with many CUDA cores..two internalcdisks, and I drop out DVD rom, to install thurd HDD.. thunderbolt port included..works like a charm..

4. Collapse Details
    I use an internal ssd for my OS and have two fast internal m.2 drives for my media in my editing laptop. Works good so far with 4k footage

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    The GTX 1060 is not on the official list - so you lose it's onboard processing as Premiere won't use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by deltoidjohn View Post
    I though they supported all CUDA cards now since a few versions ago, making the "official list" moot?

My GTX1060 is working just fine with Premiere.
    I'm updating my laptop and deciding between 2 machines. One has GTX 1060 card, the other has RTX 2070 card. And I edit with Premiere Pro.
    @Paulears is correct about GTX 1060 not being on the Official list, I checked last night (the 1080Ti is) and Adobe forums tell many stories about the 1060 card( and others) not being recognised by PP.

The RTX 2070, although supposedly being good for gaming, has according to VK at Personal View, lost video features and isn't as good as what 10xx series cards are for video.

Some people on forums are having success with RTX1060 and PP, such as @deltoidjohn, so I'm wondering if anyone is can throw some light on this problem please and help me decide.
    I would like to edit with 4K eventually, but mainly 1080p until I upgrade to a 4k camera.

Here are the laptops I'm looking at;

https://www.centrecom.com.au/asus-gl...-gaming-laptop

https://www.centrecom.com.au/acer-pr...-gaming-laptop

Thanks in advance if anyone can help throw some light on my delima.

EDIT: Maybe this link to Adobe blog may explain problems with PP recognising some GPU's.

https://theblog.adobe.com/important-...d-apple-metal/
    Last edited by Ned Kelly; 03-24-2019 at 06:10 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by deltoidjohn View Post
    I though they supported all CUDA cards now since a few versions ago, making the "official list" moot?

My GTX1060 is working just fine with Premiere.
    deltoidjohn...This is my dilemma at the moment regarding a new laptop with either the RTX 2060 card, or another with the GTX 1060. Did you have to update your driver to run the 1060 card with PP?. Cheers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123