Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Can’t really provide any input on a Premiere laptop but I will say this is one reason why I switched to Macs and FCPX. That initial sticker shock is only the upfront cost but FCPX is so well optimized that I can edit native HD no problem at all on a 2011 MBP. The problem with Premiere and a PC is the initial cost may be low but Premiere just isn’t as well optimized and in the end you may end up buying another laptop in a year or two. By the time you buy two laptops you might as well just invest in a good MBP.

That’s my view at least.

It terms of raw for,arts you may be reading about ProRes raw which does perform insanely well. Apple designed it to be well optimized with FCPX and Mac hardware. The new 6 core MBP for example can playback 9 streams of ProRes raw. Productivity is about format and workflow and not about computer specs and if you want to work with raw then FCPX and ProRes raw is where it’s at for a solid workflow that doesn’t need an 18 core machine.

2. Collapse Details
    Could you guys list the specs of your machine and say when playback starts to get choppy?

I'm still trying to get an idea for what specs can do what

3. Collapse Details
    It's not that simple...as mentioned, specs are not always the answer for everything.

Working in one piece of software on a lower-end computer may provide better performance with the same high-resolution processor-intensive footage than working in another piece of software with different higher-end hardware.

Someone with computer A and footage A (codec/format) may tell you this is when it starts getting choppy but someone else with computer B and footage B may tell you differently.

4. Collapse Details
    NorBro,

If that's true, then how in the world is someone supposed to make an informed decision on what computer to buy?

5. Collapse Details
    That's the main difficulty everyone faces in the computer universe...not every computer may do everything you want it to efficiently if you're on a budget.

Some people specialize in everything and require top-of-the-line power and speed - everything - and each piece of software they use may benefit from only one part of the computer or from multiple parts of the computer.

This is a very simple explanation, but that's the best way to look at it if you have $1,000 to spend...because you need to buy what works best for the type of editing you do on Premiere with a Windows computer if you choose to go that route.

Going back to that playback question...it's simply impossible to answer if people treat their footage. There are hundreds of things they can do to it which may severely affect the playback performance.

If you're truly looking for a specific answer, maybe ask a more detailed question such as:

"I'll be editing 4K DCI CinemaDNG from the Blackmagic URSA 4K camera. Which software does everyone use? What are the specs of your computer?"

"I'm planning on working with 8K REDCODE RAW in Premiere in the near future...how does Adobe handle the footage? What's your clock speed? How much RAM? GPU? Cores?"

ETC. ETC.

Technology gets more complicated every day and the answer isn't so simple anymore with so many different types of video and post-production options.

I personally (biased-opinion) think FCP X would do better on a lower-end machine than Premiere on a higher-end machine, so that's something to consider as well depending on what you decide to go with.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Also meant to add more to the question list...like if any grading is done? What kind of storage setup? Multi-cam editing? ETC.

All of these little bits and pieces factor in.

7. Collapse Details
    I plan to be shooting a lot of Magic Lantern raw video, and eventually I want to get the new Black Magic pocket 4k camera and shoot 4k raw. Mostly just plan on doing single camera edits, with some color correcting and maybe some warp stabilizer. I've been using lacie rugged drives for editing off of and storage.

What do you think about this one?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

8. Collapse Details
    I’m not editing RAW these days but I think most laptops are going to struggle with native raw edits in the $1000 range. The best mobile workflow and devices for RAW is going to depend on a few things.

FCP or Premiere. If you are on FCP it’s simple. You need a MacBook Pro and the new 6 cores and eventually you will want an eGPU. I would expect it would probably let you do Prores RAW edits natively with simple stuff without the eGPU and get you close to desktop performance with the eGPU support. It’s an expensive choice but probably the most reliable and portable choice out there today.

If I was focused on Premiere I’d stay in the Windows world. If you want Apple reliability in that world the best choice is Razer is my opinion. I’d probably get a used razor and edit with proxies over getting a newer offbrand machine. I’d just make sure I could add a eGPU later. Which most Razers should support. Search for Razer laptops on eBay to get an idea. Then look for Razer eGPU docks.
    Chris Bernard
    Dangerous Amateur
    Chicago, IL

9. Collapse Details
    I'm surprised nobody on this thread has brought up the subject of drives. In my opinion, your external drives play a much more critical role in performance than does the computer itself. I edit and grade huge Sony 4K 16-bit RAW and 4K XAVC-I files with Premiere CC and DaVinci Resolve on my two 2015 MacBook Pros without too much trouble. I'm also feeding video to five monitors at the same time. But my editing drives are 4TB SSDs that deliver 1300Mbps performance via Thunderbolt. Those drives make all the difference. I don't care what computer you have, if you're going to be editing to UBS-3.0 drives, or ordinary Thunderbolt drives that aren't fast enough, or something else even worse, you're probably going to have pain.
    Last edited by Doug Jensen; 08-05-2018 at 07:26 AM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Doug, interesting...so you think I should get something with thunderbolt ports? Do you think editing off of the internal SSD is better than using a usb 3.0 drive?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast