Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Buying Video Editing Laptop Help
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a new laptop to edit video using premiere pro.

I'll mostly be working with 1080 files from a sony a7ii and a 5d mark III, but I'd like to get something that I could edit 4k raw on in the future.

I've got a budget of about $1,000 and have been doing a lot of research, but can't seem to come to any good conclusions.

In my research I've seen that some people have been editing 4 and 6k raw on the 2015 macbook pros, but there has to be a windows computer out there that can do that for cheaper....right?

My current setup is A 2012 Acer Aspire, 8gb of ram and a i7-2670qm @2.2ghz.

2. Collapse Details
    Sorry to say it, but if you're planning on doing any type of serious editing, no laptop under $1000 is going to be suitable for 4K raw. Anybody who says they are editing 4K raw on a 2015 Macbook is either lying, having a very frustrating time of it, or only working on very short test clips. And you can forget about 6K - I recently worked on a job which had bought brand new, fully-specced iMacs at the start of this year and they had trouble even playing back 6K Red raw smoothly on the timeline, let alone editing 45 minute episodes. They told the shooters to switch back to 4K after the first few days of shooting/editing.

The good news is that pretty much any half decent laptop with a dedicated GPU will handle 1080p h.264 just fine these days. So use/buy what you can for now and then upgrade later when you need actually need 4K raw. It's also worth pointing out that any project which demands 4K raw should have a high enough budget to cover a proper editing system. If not, you (or the producer, director, etc) need to accept the realities of the situation and shoot whatever format the budget can afford.
    VIDEO PRODUCER ON THE NSW NORTH COAST, AUSTRALIA
    Sony FS700 || Shogun Inferno
    Adobe CC 2018

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    You can do it...but it depends on your workflow and what your expectations are for editing.

I personally use FCP X with a 2015 MBP, and have worked with CinemaDNG, REDCODE RAW and CRL, but never played anything back in real-time, no multi-cam, and no heavy effects. Transcoding to proxies is very helpful. The editing was always painless...at least for me. It's the playback that was impossible without the proxies and/or even exporting a proxy master and watching it in QT.

I also edited CinemaDNG via photography software and it was very easy as it was just editing one frame and then copying and pasting the effects to everything else and then exporting it all (which just took a long time). This was technically editing 4K RAW.

Here's a popular video regarding maybe even editing 8K on a lower-end computer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw2HFu5xAeA

I don't know anything about Windows/Microsoft, but I'm sure you can find something that can do the job for around that price.

4. Collapse Details
    Premiere also takes advantage of video acceleration so performs better with whizz video cards. It also benefits hugely from twin or 3 monitors, decent sound and other input and output devices. My new MacBook - 7 months old now has two USB-C connectors and I have to use all kinds of extra gadgets to add facilities - and I'm not sure how much of a hindrance to the workflow speed that is. One socket is now a bit loose - and occasional, a drive gets dropped when the cable wiggles. I do a bit of editing on it, but my real edit machine is Windows, with loads of things permanently plugged in. The Mac does edit fine - it's just not the most useful thing to do it on.

5. Collapse Details
    NorBro,

How in the world is that possible on that computer? Should I be looking at Macs? Or is final cut just that much better at playback?

Here are a few I was looking at:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-17...?skuId=6202730

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron...de+King%7CAcer

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Business...de+King%7CAcer

Thoughts?

6. Collapse Details
    I don't know anything about the reviewer, but if I had to make two assumptions, I am almost positive he has not applied anything to that 8K footage (or any of the footage for that matter) in which real time playback is more possible, and the default setting of "Better Performance" is selected in FCP X, which plays the footage very well in real time but at a lower-resolution. Much less processor-intensive. I think of it as proxy playback but not as efficient as if you were to transcode to proxies.

My honest opinion is the second you would start working on that footage or adding LUTs or effects, forget about it. Impossible, period. At least on that system he's using. You can do the task, but wouldn't get anywhere with playback of 6K, 8K footage. Not sure you even could with transcoding everything. Again, on that system.

(I even use a better computer and 4.5K REDCODE RAW footage from the Raven will break it if you tried to get cute with it.)

But for normal playback and just cutting - I agree 100%. It's a beautiful experience and you can cut and playback all you want just like that until you're ready to export.

Again though, if you're into heavy post work, definitely do not expect that kind of performance.

---

As far as the computers, those specs are better than the Apple in the video, but I just can't recommend a Windows/Premiere combo because I truly don't have any experience with it and I'm not sure about the performance.

If you choose a Mac, you can of course use either software on it.

7. Collapse Details
    Just ordered an Acer Predator 300 Helios to replace my 2012 Macbook Pro (my first PC in 11 years). Refurbished, they are going for around $900 on NewEgg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16834316212

The specs are impressive for the price:

GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB
    Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700HQ (2.80 GHz)
    16 GB Memory 256 GB SSD
    15.6" Full HD 1920 x 1080
    15.40" x 10.50" x 1.05" 5.95 lbs.
    1 x HDMI

I haven't had it for long enough to put it through it's paces yet, but first impressions are generally good. Once I covered up the "Predator" logo with a sticker and turned off the glowing red keyboard, it looks and feels more like a regular laptop. I have no expectation that it will be able to handle 4K raw, but I don't usually have a need for that. The LCD is definitely a big step down from any Mac I have ever owned, so I'll have to plug it into another monitor if I ever want to color grade with it.

8. Collapse Details
    The GTX 1060 is not on the official list - so you lose it's onboard processing as Premiere won't use it.

9. Collapse Details

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    The GTX 1060 is not on the official list - so you lose it's onboard processing as Premiere won't use it.
    I though they supported all CUDA cards now since a few versions ago, making the "official list" moot?

My GTX1060 is working just fine with Premiere.
    VIDEO PRODUCER ON THE NSW NORTH COAST, AUSTRALIA
    Sony FS700 || Shogun Inferno
    Adobe CC 2018

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast