Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry1908 View Post
    Mitch,

While you're here, As a DOP and Panasonic rep, do you have any thoughts that you'd care to express on the footage?
    I actually thought it looked pretty good, but I guess I need to give it a more critical view. Do we know if the aerial footage was also EVA1? Some of the shock moments were sped up in post, which increases the video quality even if you shoot on film!
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mrchirster View Post
    Just for clarification.. 1.4 crop on s35mm, correct?
    Correct. It is a 1.4x crop from the full size of the EVA1 Super-35 sensor.

All other talk of crop factors are crap, because you need to state exactly what the two sensor sizes you are comparing. To everyone who just assumes that the “standard” is a stills format 36x24mm, I will point out that the motion picture 35mm format came several decades before Leica repurposed motion picture film for still photography. Crop Factor is the work of Satan.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    The Punch in of 1.4x crop makes it a m43 crop size. Most people call this a 2x crop because they are comparing to FF as baseline. Most people compare to FF as the baseline because of the Canon FF DSLR revolution, to the bane of many long time filmmakers since super35 (which is equiv to approx APS-C sized "crop" in still cameras) has for ages been the STANDARD in cinema.

4. Collapse Details
    Regarding post filtration: https://vimeo.com/271446709

From his description:
    Camera: Panasonic AU-EVA1 Lens: Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8
    Post-process: V-Log LUT, Rocketstock Emulsion 35mm medium grain, Grainzilla Vintage Film FX filters, Red Giant Denoiser III.

And besides film stocks and grain (Filmconvert, or above, etc.), and besides blending modes, there is also RedGiant Magic Bullet as well as Tiffen DFX (which is now DFT Film Tools):

http://www.digitalfilmtools.com/dft/

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    The Punch in of 1.4x crop makes it a m43 crop size. Most people call this a 2x crop because they are comparing to FF as baseline. Most people compare to FF as the baseline because of the Canon FF DSLR revolution, to the bane of many long time filmmakers since super35 (which is equiv to approx APS-C sized "crop" in still cameras) has for ages been the STANDARD in cinema.
    It's in the neighborhood of MFT frame size, but it is not the same. And it is specifically a 1.4x crop from the 5.7K sensor of the EVA1. That sensor is referred to as Super-35 size, but if you look from manufacturer to manufacturer and camera to camera, you will find that there is huge variation in just what this means. I've seen is from about a 25.5mm image circle to almost 30mm. That's quite a difference.

BTW, we were referring to the resolution capabilities of the EVA1 and what impact it has on the image. So that's the only reason I brought it up. For such a question, frame size is not relevant.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    I actually thought it looked pretty good, but I guess I need to give it a more critical view. Do we know if the aerial footage was also EVA1? Some of the shock moments were sped up in post, which increases the video quality even if you shoot on film!
    Thanks for weighing in Mitch. Yes it appears there are “shutter crimes” committed. Punishment? Public investigation on dvxuser lol

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345