Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
  1. Collapse Details

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/24...-improvements/

We can pretty much declare that a fix. Not bad for a software update which I may add a lot of the armchair engineers said would be impossible.

The 2.9ghz is back in the running for me. Although there is nothing wrong with the performance of the 2.2ghz MBP.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    i7 and i9 thermal throttling still a major issue:

4. Collapse Details
    The obsession with size reduction (at the expense of performance) is such a strange approach for laptops that are targeted at performance users.

5. Collapse Details
    2018 is still a lot faster... this guy's real world render tests are solid between FCPX, Premiere, Lightroom, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-p9-QZSdPM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4yp3KoYdP8

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    The obsession with size reduction (at the expense of performance) is such a strange approach for laptops that are targeted at performance users.
    I don't think it is strange at all. Apple focuses on overall user experience instead of specs. People buy laptops because they want them to be portable. I don't mean portable as in I can haul it from one room to the next but actually use it in less than optimal situations. On flights, in cramped spaces, at Starbucks, on the back of a DIT cart, in my lap, walking around with it on set to show a client some of the dailies and so froth. Portability can mean size, weight, noise, battery life and screen options.

Apple strives for a good balance between performance and portability. Sure you can get a laptop that is large, beefy, heavy and sounds like jet engine but I find that a lot more distracting to my craft than the CPU running slightly slower due to throttling. Desktops are for performance/spec nerds and when it comes to a laptop I want one that is well rounded and thought out so the size, weight, noise, battery life and screen options are not sacrificed in any way. All of this while providing enough performance to create a very productive environment for the applications Mac users tend to use. FCPX on a RX560 runs as well as Premiere on a GTX1080. Not because of the hardware but because of how well Apple optimized FCPX. Thats the entire point of that Apple ecosystem. The software doesn't require massive GPUs to be a productive tool. Of course a RX580 would be better but I'm kind of glad Apple has not sacrificed noise and size just to have a bit more render speed. A laptop after all like I said is supposed to be about portability. It is supposed to run for as long as possible on a battery and not be a chore to move around. When I'm editing audio I don't want to have to use headphones because the fan noise is so bad. Thats not a well thought out machine. Thats forcing higher specs in a machine while sacrificing what it means to be a portable workstation that provides a comfortable editing experience.

So no not strange at all. Just a different perspective of what it means to build a professional machine. To me professional means a well designed machine that has more battery power with the least amount of noise as possible. I want a laptop that can chug through 4k video on a 6 hour flight and not make me lose my hearing more than I already am. To me a professional machine is just as much about comfort and overall user experience. There are PC laptops I have been very impressed with and yes they are sometimes $400 cheaper than a MBP but they also are lucky to get a 2 hour battery run time and I find that very unprofessional. I despise fan noise with a passion and also consider that to be a non professional computer designed to perform tasks that require me to hear whats going on.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678