Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Smartphone editing software + budget equipment advice
    Hi guys,

I have a friend who runs a gym (crossfit) and is wanting to make videos of people working out, testimonials, nutritional advice. Issue is that he is on a relatively tight budget and has little computer knowledge (using or buying).

With a budget of $600 and little computer knowledge I have suggested that he makes the videos on his phone (shoot and edit) and invest in a phone stabiliser and decent microphone.

Videos will be uploaded to instagram and facebook

Therefore I need advice on:
    - phone stabiliser sub $300
    - decent microphone that works with android phone
    - in phone android editing software (relatively user friendly)

Any help would be massively appreciated.
    1DX2, Sony A7s II, 2 x Canon 5Dmk3, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, Zeiss 35-70 f3.4, Canon 70-200 f2.8 II, Canon 135 f2, Tamron 150-600, Duzi Slider, Glidecam HD 4000, LCDVF, H4n, shoulder rig + various other items. Previously owned: 6D, 7D & 550D

2. Collapse Details
    VideoPad for editing, there is also an adobe product, but I haven't used it.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    So you advice someone to promote his business using video to do it all by himself while he does not know diddly-squat about it?

I would suggest getting someone to do it who knows what he is doing to budget out a plan for $600.

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks Greg.

Cheers for your assistance Cary. Not.
    As part of the new gym age there is a need for constant content uploads. He will be doing a couple of videos a week. It is impossible for anyone to conduct this work for $600 total, hence the reason I've asked for some advice here. I've done a number of videos for him in return for personal training but cannot keep up with the amount that he is after.
    1DX2, Sony A7s II, 2 x Canon 5Dmk3, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, Zeiss 35-70 f3.4, Canon 70-200 f2.8 II, Canon 135 f2, Tamron 150-600, Duzi Slider, Glidecam HD 4000, LCDVF, H4n, shoulder rig + various other items. Previously owned: 6D, 7D & 550D

5. Collapse Details
    Why not an iPad? The larger screen size would be much nicer for doing edits on the fly.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

6. Collapse Details
    Microsoft moviemaker. Still available. Works easy. And for free.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Regnis View Post
    It is impossible for anyone to conduct this work for $600 total, hence the reason I've asked for some advice here. I've done a number of videos for him in return for personal training but cannot keep up with the amount that he is after.
    I suppose we have to agree to disagree about the advice to promote a professional business by making do-it-yourself knowing diddly-squat cell phone video productions.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Regnis View Post
    Hi guys,

I have a friend who runs a gym (crossfit) and is wanting to make videos of people working out, testimonials, nutritional advice. Issue is that he is on a relatively tight budget and has little computer knowledge (using or buying).

With a budget of $600 and little computer knowledge I have suggested that he makes the videos on his phone (shoot and edit) and invest in a phone stabiliser and decent microphone.

Videos will be uploaded to instagram and facebook

Therefore I need advice on:
    - phone stabiliser sub $300
    - decent microphone that works with android phone
    - in phone android editing software (relatively user friendly)

Any help would be massively appreciated.
    - Here is a link to most phone gimbals made on the planet for less than $300 (the link is already configured for you):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...30+3738443539&

In this case with such a lightweight device, you can easily find an amazing one for less than $100 like the Feiyu G4 Pro (used to be more expensive), which I have personally used:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._handheld.html

There are better ones on that list though.

- Popular mic for phones:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ional_mic.html

Also consider a lav for better audio (tutorials): https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...v_mic_for.html

Both can be used with an app.

- Really can't recommend editing on a phone or iPad so I don't have any thoughts on this one...but a used, cheap Mac with iMovie would be my choice, which can be found for a few hundred these days. The investment will be worth it. If Windows is a must, I'd probably go with Movie Maker as mentioned above.

---

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
    I suppose we have to agree to disagree about the advice to promote a professional business by making do-it-yourself knowing diddly-squat cell phone video productions.
    It's a different world...many body builders and fitness personalities on YouTube film their content (v-logs, exercises, skits, etc) on phones and have millions of subscribers.

The target audience doesn't care about the quality; they just want information and/or entertainment.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    It's a different world...many body builders and fitness personalities on YouTube film their content (v-logs, exercises, skits, etc) on phones and have millions of subscribers.

The target audience doesn't care about the quality; they just want information and/or entertainment.
    This is our new reality. How does a video shot vertically in crappy light with no sound support get a million hits while one that is professionally-produced get a couple hundred? Relevance.

There are still plenty of reasons to have something done by a professional, but vlog-style content is not one of them. Coaching a business to improve their vlog content is actually a great thing to do... makes the content a little more watchable for the audience. They’re going to do it on their own anyway, so why not help them do it better?
    Nobody notices audio... until it's not there.

Find Me on Instagram

10. Collapse Details
    ha, yea...famous YouTube personalities are already offering programs/courses on how to become a YouTube star (aka how to make professional vlogs/YT videos):

Ironically, I'm pretty sure his intro video was shot with a RED (they use that company a lot for other productions):

https://www2.edfluence.com/vip/roadmap/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast