Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    'Lucy' has 3 big hitters in its specs...not sure how much is "some scenes", but I wonder if anyone during the meeting(s) brought up anything about color or skintones when discussing the combination of systems, and I wonder why all three cameras were used
    It's clearly an F65 A camera production, and it was specifically chosen as they preferred the color: https://www.creativeplanetnetwork.co...ns-lucy-606065

IMDB (owned by Amazon) used to list A camera first: seems like perhaps something business/political going on with Amazon (Prime Video) and ARRI? Remember Netflix effectively banned ARRI for a while because of resolution, massively boosting the use of the F55 (and Red). Or perhaps they're listing A camera last now or making it random to keep everyone guessing lol.

Here's the details regarding Red and Alexa for Lucy: http://www.fdtimes.com/2014/07/24/lu...-arbogast-afc/
    Iím looking at IMDB. It says that you used an Alexa and an Epic for some shots?

Yes. For the car chase in Paris, as background plates. We needed to match the chase with the actors later in the studio. We shot the chase during the middle of August. Paris is completely empty during August. Itís the best time to do a chase. But the chase was supposed to be with the actors and the actress and they were not available at this time. Scarlett came to Taipei in September. So we filmed the chase elements without the actors. We mounted six RED cameras on a camera car: one in front, one behind, two on the sides, one tight, one wide. At every point, we needed to match the actors. We had this camera car do the chase along the rue du Rivoli in Paris. At the time, it was very difficult to find six F65s in Paris. It was easier to find six RED cameras in Paris. Thatís the reason why we shot with the RED in 4K, which was very comfortable.

So the RED cameras were for the car chase and what was the Alexa for?

Alexa was also used from time to time because it was easier to find for occasional extra camera shots. I love the Alexa too. We also did some shots with the Canon 5D. We used the 5D for some very small, very quick shots. But when you have an action scene, quickly cut, itís not a big deal to match everything together. There are some shots that are just two seconds long.
    F65 worked well for Lucy:

2. Collapse Details
    I agree that handheld looks amazing on the F35. I just love the way it looks. I attibute that to the shutter, so shutter is my favorite element in the camera... but of course... the way the F35 captures the image is also due to the RGB sensor... but I can only pick one so MOTION it is for me. That's my favorite.

3. Collapse Details
    Would love to get some Cooke on the f35!

I actually like the Cp.2 look on the F35 so far. Never really liked the look on the F55 or the A7. Not bad, but not memorable either. I liked Cp.2 on The 1DC, but not so much on the other Canons. But the Zeiss Cp.2 work on the F35, maybe has more to do with the camera. So, in a way, I like how the F35 gives lenses a new partner.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rbirnbaum View Post
    I agree that handheld looks amazing on the F35. I just love the way it looks. I attibute that to the shutter, so shutter is my favorite element in the camera... but of course... the way the F35 captures the image is also due to the RGB sensor... but I can only pick one so MOTION it is for me. That's my favorite.
    I think weight of the camera is one of the "motion cadence" variables. But that is just my belief, don't really know. But I used to add 12lbs to my dslr rigs to help with the handheld look. Made my handheld footage feel right, even on an old T3i.

5. Collapse Details
    Wow this thread got hijacked fast! Jcs has to always make it about venice or F65. This is about people favorite F35 thing. Jcs can you delete your posts and make your own thread? Since you deleted your troll post when it got downvotes. Let this thread be about favorite things of F35!

4 out of 5 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by SJX View Post
    Wow this thread got hijacked fast! Jcs has to always make it about venice or F65. This is about people favorite F35 thing. Jcs can you delete your posts and make your own thread? Since you deleted your troll post when it got downvotes. Let this thread be about favorite things of F35!
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbos...aptable-person

0 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    I think weight of the camera is one of the "motion cadence" variables. But that is just my belief, don't really know. But I used to add 12lbs to my dslr rigs to help with the handheld look. Made my handheld footage feel right, even on an old T3i.
    Used to do the same... spider rigs

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rbirnbaum View Post
    Used to do the same... spider rigs
    Was spider and gini-rigs the same thing? I had a bunch of old gini rig parts, and found a way to get 12+lbs of fitness weights on the back. wasn't for a paid gig, so ugly was ok, but made that handheld so much nicer.

Did another informal comparison between the A7 and the F35, but used sunlight that changed too fast, and that didn't allow for directly comparable frames between cameras. A7 is amazing, but still ends up looking like amazing dslr footage, but something about the F35 footage feels better. I want to say more life like, or more movie like, but that is so vague. Also, I shot 1080 s35 for both, so that does cripple the A7 in a way, but I primarily use the A7 in 1080 because I use it to shoot a lot of footage and need to conserve space typically, so for me, it is applicable.

Main thing I like about the F35 is how the eyes look straight out of the camera, as the shadows under the eyes render more pleasantly:
    6C764790-683A-4669-9481-C01466D25EF4.jpg
    (the compression reduces the difference in quality between the two, but the F35 is much preferred)
    Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 1.50.17 AM.jpg
    the exposure for these two images are different, so the clipping is in different places on the lamp. The F35 and A7 are comparable for dynamic range, but the f35 seems to handle light better.
    Last edited by James0b57; 07-09-2018 at 09:08 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Was spider and gini-rigs the same thing?
    It was just generic for s*%t around your rig everywhere... weights... wires... hated it. I know that I can strip the F35... viewfinder, body lens and battery without IF box 1 wire to 422 recorder and I am game.

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the comparisons... nope... not going to get an A7 any time soon.
    But yeah... I am not surprised... A7 is great for some things... but hate, hate the motion on it. Looks like a video game on a stuttering desktop.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast