Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    For decades I have been saying, "This would be a great business if it wasn't for clients." Well now I have uncovered that business. All the pleasure of shooting . . . but without clients and the financial limitations of working by the hour or by the day. The sky is the limit on earnings because I own my footage.

Sounds like you are a cinema verite' shooter like me. No real planning, just keep a camera handy and be ready when opportunity presents itself. Often that is the kind of footage that sells simply because a producer/editor cannot go out and shoot it when then they need it -- so they have to turn to stock.

2. Collapse Details
    I've released an update video that crunches my own numbers for 2019 so far. Hopefully it will lay some people's skepticism about making money from stock footage to rest. Anyone who has a professional camera and isn't shooting for stock in their spare time is missing out on a great opportunity. Heck, I haven't even had submitted anything new since early July and the business keeps growing.

3. Collapse Details
    I bought this to view a few months ago... might even get the chance to watch it this week. It'd be nice if Vimeo streamed worth a darn on my iPhone, but it doesn't for whatever reason.

Actually started off (roundabout) doing stock video... in 2009, a 'producer' hired me to get a bunch of b-roll shots of Washington DC, so I spent a full day traipsing around the city with my HVX200. Shipped him a drive, 'David Oneal' disappeared without paying.

Wound up selling it for stock and made about twice as much as my lost day rate over the next few years. I keep seeing one particular shot of the seal of the Dept. of Justice on broadcast news every so often.

For some reason, I didn't get the lesson and never kept up with it. Seeking to change that.
    Last edited by mcbob; 11-26-2019 at 06:58 AM.
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbob View Post
    I bought this to view a few months ago... might even get the chance to watch it this week. It'd be nice if Vimeo streamed worth a darn on my iPhone, but it doesn't for whatever reason. Actually started off (roundabout) doing stock video... in 2009, a 'producer' hired me to get a bunch of b-roll shots of Washington DC, so I spent a full day traipsing around the city with my HVX200. Shipped him a drive, 'David Oneal' disappeared without paying. Wound up selling it for stock and made about twice as much as my lost day rate over the next few years. I keep seeing one particular shot of the seal of the Dept. of Justice on broadcast news every so often. For some reason, I didn't get the lesson and never kept up with it. Seeking to change that.
    EXACTLY!! I have similar stories where b-roll I shot for a shoot has earned me way more than I got for my day rate.
    Thanks for signing up for my course and I think you will regret not putting more effort into stock sooner. :-)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12