Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    FS5 mark 2 arrived yesterday
    Haven't had much time to play with it yet, but did some quick tests out to an Inferno, internal, kit lens and 3 nikkor G/E lenses with active(ish) adapter. Down point was realizing that the low light performance is still noisy as the mark 1, which I knew it was going to be the same, but still disappointing after having used a D850 for shooting recently. Also had one shot that had horizontal striped banding, but I'm quite sure that was due to the installed LED ambient light in my edit bay. High point was realizing that the Venice color profile is quite nice for internal recording, and is something that I could happily use for shoots where I don't want to bother shooting log/raw for quick turnaround without having to do much color correction for a nice image out of the box similar to shooting an altered WideDR Canon profile. Now if Sony could release a paid FS5m2 firmware update to allow higher bitrates internal and an intra-frame codec, I'd support that even if it doesn't quite match the FS7's capabilities. Mostly I think I'll be shooting ProRes Raw to my Inferno (c'mon Adobe), but it's really nice to have the option of an internal 10-bit 4:2:2 HD image that can handle both log2/3 and for fast turnaround a really nice color science option on a Sony. I wasn't even factoring the Venice color into my puchase decision as I was expecting to shoot all log, but now that it's there I'm glad to have it as a bonus.

2. Collapse Details
    But... how is that black ND Filter knob???
    Sony FX9 | FS700R | A7S | Odyssey 7Q+ | Atomos Ninja V
    FE: Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8 GM, 28-135/4, 24/1.4, 50/1.8, 90/2.8, 28-70, SEL: 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4
    Samyang 16, 35 & 85mm Cine
    Sachtler Flowtech 75 | Benro S8
    MacBook Pro 2018 6-core i7 2.6 ghz / 32gb ram / 512gb HD | macOS Catalina
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Catalina

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitrizigany View Post
    But... how is that black ND Filter knob???
    Asking the hard questions! Not holding back your punches at all.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    Asking the hard questions! Not holding back your punches at all.
    I’m still so unbelievably disappointed in the “mkII” of the FS5... was so ready to buy it... until it turned out it just had a black knob as improvement. I do like black though, so it’s not that it’s a bad thing. But as the only thing it’s a bit underwhelming ;)
    FE: Sony 24-70/2.8 GM, 70-200/2.8 GM, 28-135/4, 24/1.4, 50/1.8, 90/2.8, 28-70, SEL: 50/1.8, 35/1.8, 18-105/4
    Hackintosh i7-8700K 6-core 3.7 ghz / 32 gb ram / 512gb NVMe / Radeon RX 580 | macOS Catalina

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddler View Post
    Now if Sony could release a paid FS5m2 firmware update to allow higher bitrates internal and an intra-frame codec, I'd support that even if it doesn't quite match the FS7's capabilities.
    Sony has already stated that 10bit 4K is for next gen FS5, so that won’t happen. Sorry, forgot where I heard it, but one of the videos about the FS5 from NAB or cinegear. Don’t think the FS5 has the internal bandwidth to do it.

Only thing that would make me get the FS5 now if there would be a 5” (or even monitorless) recorder that could record the raw output of the FS5...

I really really want an FS5 formfactor camera though so don’t get me wrong, it’s just that I can’t justify the expense upgrading from my FS700 as it is. Had the mkII just offered a few more improvements that could have tipped that scale though, which is why I’m so disappointed in the mkII ;)

6. Collapse Details
    atomos screwed up on the ninja V with no sdi ports.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    You know, I didn't initially purchase the FS5m2 for the hardware upgrades, but now that I have it in hand I have to say I'm quite pleased with the black ND knob. It's quite impressive in person and it really adds a lot to the overall experience when filming vs the FS5.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Starting to lose clients because I don't have the black knob version of the camera, need to think about upgrading.
    Everything involving the pig is above board.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Truthfully people are giving Sony too hard a time about the black knob upgrade. That's not the only change in hardware--the side of the body is now labelled "FS5II".

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitrizigany View Post
    Sony has already stated that 10bit 4K is for next gen FS5, so that wonít happen. Sorry, forgot where I heard it, but one of the videos about the FS5 from NAB or cinegear. Donít think the FS5 has the internal bandwidth to do it.

Only thing that would make me get the FS5 now if there would be a 5Ē (or even monitorless) recorder that could record the raw output of the FS5...

I really really want an FS5 formfactor camera though so donít get me wrong, itís just that I canít justify the expense upgrading from my FS700 as it is. Had the mkII just offered a few more improvements that could have tipped that scale though, which is why Iím so disappointed in the mkII ;)
    I'm in the same boat. I want an FS5 form factor camera. But of course I want Sony to put in the
    codecs from the FS7, and the the 6k (downscaled to 4K) sensor, autofocus, and 5 axis stabilizer from
    the A6500. I'd pay a good bit for that camera Originally I was thinking the same as you.....that
    I would not upgrade to an FS5 ii unless a 5' (or monitories) recorder came out that could record the Sony raw.
    Something like the Atmos V, recording to ProRes raw, but with a SDI port. But then I got to thinking.....if
    I'm going to use an external recorder anyways, and something like that comes out, I might just get the
    recorder, continue to use my FS700....and wait for the FS5 iii to come out and hope it has codecs that you
    won't need the external recorder for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast