1. Collapse Details
    Focus keeps turning past hard stops? (Sigma 18-35)
    Playing with follow focus today with camera and lens powered off. Noticed that I feel a gentle hard stop when the focus ring hits the edges of close focus or infinity focus, but then, I can keep twisting without that much effort to keep going. Is this normal, or harmful, or?

2. Collapse Details
    If it's a still lens with AF, it's normal. Most still lenses focus barrels will turn continuously, because they have a clutch type system that allows the servos/motors to adjust them with the AF system, but also for the user to manually adjust it, as well. You should feel a slight stop at either end (near and far), but then you can keep turning the barrel.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Playing with follow focus today with camera and lens powered off. Noticed that I feel a gentle hard stop when the focus ring hits the edges of close focus or infinity focus, but then, I can keep twisting without that much effort to keep going. Is this normal, or harmful, or?
    Totally normal on that lens.

4. Collapse Details
    While it does indeed sound as if the OP is talking about the stills version, be advised that the Cine versions do not have a hard-stop at infinity. They don't rotate endlessly beyond an infinity "notch" as do the stills version, but the hard-stop is beyond infinity. The reason being that such avoids the lenses having to be custom shimmed for each specific camera mount.
    Big sources matter.