1. Collapse Details
    Help with Hooking M267 to Consumer Camera
    Hi folks!

I have a friend/client that is trying to hook up some gear and has asked me for help. An additional hurdle is that I am trying to help him from afar without being able to put my hands on his equipment. I can help him with many things, but one I am not sure about is his set up from mixer to camera. He has a Shure M267 (boy, does that take me back a few years!) and is trying to send the signal out to two Sony HVR-HD1000u cameras! Yes, I know all this equipment is old and ill-equipped for pro audio, but it is what it is. He is trying to use a "Y" splitter to send it to both cameras, but I believe any issue is really in adapting from the XLR out of the M267 to a mini-jack "Mic In" on the Sony cameras. He is getting a "buzz" that I believe probably has to do with mismatched wiring/adapters between the M267 and the camera. Anyone want to travel back in time and help with this issue? Can you point me/him to the proper wire or adapter to accomplish this?

THANKS!

Rob

2. Collapse Details
    The M267 PDF manual can be downloaded here
    At one time, many hotel ballrooms had the M267, so I encountered them frequently recording attorney seminars for the state (NY) bar assoc.
    There is a mic/line switch on the XLR output, which in this case should be set to MIC. So you will need an 'XLR to stereo 3.5mm mini-plug adapter cable. I assume you want to feed both left and right channels on the cam, so the wiring config would be thus: XLR Pin 2 to the TIP and RING of the mini-plug. THE XLR Pin 1 AND Pin 3 is tied to sleeve (ground) on the mini-plug. I would not recommend splitting an unbalanced mic level output, so the binding posts output can be used as a secondary output, but that is fixed at line (+4dB), so a line-to-mic attenuation cable would be needed. The same XLR pin-out applies. The stacking bus is for tying two mixers together, no good as an output.
    Another option is to use one wireless transmitter and two receivers to feed both cams, a Sennheiser 100 series G2/3/4 would be good for this and includes the proper cables for feeding unbalanced stereo mic inputs.
    BTW, most WiFi band wireless are no good for this, they can only be used as Tx/Rx pair(s).

3. Collapse Details
    Rick,

Thanks so much for the info. Especially on the pin-outs so I can make sure he gets the right cable(s). Unfortunately he does not have any wireless mics/receivers. I might try to have him use the binding post outputs - hadn't really considered that. I had also thought about recommending a mic splitter to split the output of the M267. Then he could get matching XLR-mini cables to go to the cams. THANKS!

4. Collapse Details
    The M267's headphone output can be used as an unbalanced line level output. If the volume is turned way down, it may be low enough for mic level, however at that low a setting, the output volume is non-linear.