Thread: color balance

1. Collapse Details
    color balance
    I was wondering what setting seems to be what most like to use? White/Gray card or Kelvin? I started out using the card during the film shoot and than switch to Kelvin with my lighting guy. But I ask myself which really works best? Sometimes I think using the card - faster and easier but than sometimes I think using the light meter is better. So at this point I'm just wonder what others like to use. I'm shooting on the C300 - by the way I really like this camera :-)

2. Collapse Details
    You can use white balance, I tend to use grey cards but white works ok too. If you set you WFM display to RGB you can toggle the kelvin numbers until the RGB white or Grey levels are equal on the wfm display. Its also possible to make a custom profile with a desired whitebalance bias, so if your white balances feel too warm you can lower the R component in the white balance CP to take a little Red out...

3. Collapse Details
    We ran into the problem several years ago, that when shooting in a straight tungsten environment and setting 3200 on the KELVIN setting instead of PRESET Tungsten resulted in a slight, but noticeable, green push in the footage. So I will only "dial in" color temp with the "K" setting at higher color temps(say 4300K and higher). If you're shooting true, straight tungsten go preset tungsten or manually white balance.

Also, keep in mind, when you "dial in" a color temp on the KELVIN setting, it's only running up and down through warm/cool(amber/blue). There is no compensation for any green/magenta shifts in the lighting(although you can go into the menu somewhere, I believe and adjust green/magenta).

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    We ran into the problem several years ago, that when shooting in a straight tungsten environment and setting 3200 on the KELVIN setting instead of PRESET Tungsten resulted in a slight, but noticeable, green push in the footage. So I will only "dial in" color temp with the "K" setting at higher color temps(say 4300K and higher). If you're shooting true, straight tungsten go preset tungsten or manually white balance.

Also, keep in mind, when you "dial in" a color temp on the KELVIN setting, it's only running up and down through warm/cool(amber/blue). There is no compensation for any green/magenta shifts in the lighting(although you can go into the menu somewhere, I believe and adjust green/magenta).
    True^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Gear matters. But just a little. Story is everything.

5. Collapse Details
    Funny, I haven't used K setting much in tungsten, its almost always been mixed light settings and forms of daylight. I'll have to check out the tungsten side of the K setting.